1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MissPixiePickles

MissPixiePickles Registered Guest

Hello everyone, I collect vintage costume jewellery and I've had this necklace for some time now. It's quite a heavy piece I must say, I think it's brass? That is literally all I know, I have found nothing similar anywhere. I thought perhaps it was one of those Art Deco 'ball/chain' necklaces, though it does seem a little'fancy'?

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on age/era :) 109.jpg 107.jpg 102.jpg 105.jpg

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

It's lovely, imo 1930s, German.

GemGem and MissPixiePickles like this.
  3. MissPixiePickles

Thank you Avantbo, I think it's lovely, couldn't wear it for long though as it is weighty! You've given me something to work with, I certainly did not think of possibly being German, so that's great, thanks again :)

GemGem likes this.
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. This is a great necklace! I love pieces like this. The brass pieces from the 30s and early 1940s are some of my favorites. I think of the 30s pieces being more of the festoon pieces with dangles or charms and yours as being more streamlined.....maybe late 30s, but I'm thinking early 1940s before WWII. The style of your piece reminds me a little of Joseff of Hollywood's brass jewelry of which I have a few treasured pieces. That catch really looks like Joseff's style. But, your piece is not signed and most of Joseff's pieces are signed. I don't think this piece is German, but I certainly could be wrong about that. I think it may be American made. I look forward to hearing some of the other jewelry people's thoughts and opinions as there many here that know much more about jewelry than I do.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am also seeing 1930s to early 40s on this one. It is wonderful! Those brass pieces from the Deco era can be some of the most beautiful.

7. MissPixiePickles

Thank you all so much for your comments, you've all been massively helpful!. I must confess I had never heard of Joseff of Hollywood until now, wow, lovely pieces. Mine has no signature sadly so whoever created it shall remain a mystery for now, which is often the way.

8. Yours has no signature, but it's still a wonderful piece. Many of my jewelry favorites are not signed!

9. JadeEiden

JadeEiden Registered Guest

It looks very beautiful. I work in an antique store and have seen a lot of vintage jewelry. I recently had something similar brought in for an appraisal. I was told it was a late 19th-century necklace. I offered the owner $1,700, but he declined. A man came after him and wanted to sell me a silver necklace chain for women. I am a great connoisseur of silver so I couldn't refuse him, but I keep thinking about that necklace they never wanted to sell me, even though the amount was solid. That necklace looks so much like him. Didn't you come to my store? :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  10. MissPixiePickles

It was not me I'm afraid, I'm in England :) I still have this necklace, it is a beauty. I have searched high and low for something, anything similar and I have found nothing. I do feel it could be quite a rare piece of jewellery. I am so undecided on the age of it, the style of the clasp does make me think it may be older than Art Deco. I am truly stumped on this one.

Many thanks for your input, more food for thought for me :)

11. Agatha_

Agatha_ Registered Guest

it looks so beautiful i love these kind of antique necklaces

MissPixiePickles likes this.