1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Vintage Cuffs

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mark Tyers, May 9, 2021.

1. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Registered Guest

I’ve just bought some unusual cuffs and can’t figure out how old they are or BDA51595-ABEB-4A2A-8C10-D372972F57C3.jpeg 04646E54-1C5D-4986-B6C3-FCF8262501AD.jpeg how to wear them. They are marked Clery & Co Dublin, extra heavy 4 fold hand sewn holes, The Rangoon and are 31cm x 12cm. They appear to have double button holes and some small tabs.
    Has anyone seen similar?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

They are men's shirt cuffs probably from the 1910s/20s. They are put on with plain white button cufflinks - nothing flashy - they look like regular buttons, and are attached to the shirt with the buttoned tab. We have some in cloth, for starching, and also in paper. The idea is that you could have those washed and starched separately from the shirt, saving laundry costs.

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Crossposted with Jonathan who is an expert

I am not familiar with cuffs so hopefully the experts would stop by and weigh in but the company has been in existence since at least 1898 and I see ads that included cuffs in 1902. Many appear in publications for the clergy like the Irish Ecclesiastical Record along with other religious vestments and materials so maybe that is one likely use.

58E30593-6B3D-466F-AFEB-FF2DA01BC272.jpeg 56EFB814-0279-45CF-A4A7-3E3B7F98D3F2.jpeg

Mark Tyers likes this.
  4. Mark Tyers

Thanks for the background. Looks like they date from around the turn of the century. Any thoughts about whether they are kissing or barrel cuffs? What is the purpose of the cloth loops? Any advice on how they are worn? Cheers.

5. Mark Tyers

Thanks for the reply. I’m not familiar with the wearing of double button cuffs. Has anyone got any pictures showing how the tab attaches to the shirt? Does the shirt need a double row of eye holes?