1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valentino or not?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aleona, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Aleona

Aleona Registered Guest

I bought this bag in a vintage store in Rome. Could you help identifying if it is a real Valentino or not. And if it is, could anyone point to the approximate time period, please?
    Thank you!
    logo.png

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I would say not. If you see the labels in the label resource, there isn't one with that kind of script. Also, Valentino Boutique, there is. Boutique Valentino, there is not.

Hard to guess the time period because you really need to see the whole garment; do you have a picture of the garment?

3. Aleona

Aleona Registered Guest

yes, it's a bag.
    I would say, being an older item, the gallery might not have all the items, and brands changed branding a lot ...
    IMG_6224.JPG

4. Seeing a picture of the bag will help date it but we can't authenticate.

If it is genuine leather, it could possibly be by Mario Valentino.

MV had used the brand name "Valentino" long before Garavani Valentino came on the scene. After a court battle with GV, circa 70s, MV retained the right to continue using just "Valentino", but only on bags (shoes?) if I'm not mistaken. That's why you see GVs name spelled out on his bags.

We don't have any label examples of MVs early stuff with just "Valentino" though.

Aleona likes this.
  5. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

Could be also a boutique with this name

6. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

Mario Valentino specialized in leather goods

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That was what I was thinking too - simply a boutique called "Valentino". Doesn't look like Valentino Garavani. As for Mario Valentino, I only have a belt by him, which has only a "V" logo, so I couldn't say.