1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Versace Dress - Authentic?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by queen0ftheang3ls, Feb 2, 2010.

1. queen0ftheang3ls

queen0ftheang3ls Registered Guest

I picked up this cute(ish) dress the other day:

[​IMG]

I don't normally go for things of this style, and the quality is by no means exceptional (it looks a little Forever 21, if I'm being honest), but lo and behold this Versace label!

[​IMG]

I probably would have passed it over, thinking it was counterfeit, based on the quality. But it has an additional tag in the side seam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weird, huh? Ittierre SPA is/has been associated with Versace, most notably with their "Jeans Couture" line. I don't know if they were licensed to produce the "Gianni Versace Couture" line as well. And of course, there's no reason that someone couldn't just sew in two tags that are not original to a dress in order to pass it off as a designer piece.

What do you all think? Is this a 90s Versace dress? The style (bold, sexy, very Miami) reads as "Versace" to me, but the quality is just not what I'd expect! I have not been so financially blessed as to have much exposure to high end designer clothes, though, so I don't necessarily know what quality I ought to be expecting.

For reference, the dress is unlined. The neckline ties in the back, and the crossover panel is stitched in place. The "Gianni Versace" label is sewn into the center back, with stitches that extend about halfway down the two shorter sides. The top thread is black, and the bobbin thread is orange to match the dress. The "Itierre SPA" tags are sewn in the left side seam near the botton ruffle panel, using white top thread and orange bobbin. The back of the label with the hologram sticker reads "Verify that tag has hologriffe stamp label" in English and Italian.

Any help would be appreciated. I certainly don't want to sell it as Versace if I have any doubts as to its authenticity, and I can't deny that my gut feeling tells me that it's not.

2. Looks like it! But I am no expert. Big help, huh?

3. Agree it's authentic - but I'm wondering if it's even more recent than the '90s.

EDIT: it matches the '90s label in the label resource so I guess the dating is good.

Nicole

4. UndoneMrs

UndoneMrs Registered Guest

Cute dress, I worked at a Buffalo Exchange for 4 years and handled a LOT of clothes, and always looked out for fakes. Looks authentic, the "couture" label might throw you, but I've seen other stretch late 90s dresses that have this label. I bet it looks amazing on !!

5. queen0ftheang3ls

queen0ftheang3ls Registered Guest

Thank you, everyone!

UndoneMrs, I'm glad to know you've seen similar dresses with this label. I guess what was throwing me off is that I just really would've expected a Versace dress to have at least some indicators of quality - lining, nicer seam finishes, or even a viscose blend fabric rather than a hum-drum poly/spandex blend! Not that I'm holding Versace as some sort of paragon of high fashion. I know the label has had a some major ups and downs, and that sort of thing can certainly show in the garments produced.

I think I've been looking at vintage for too long. It's so much more common to find hand-finished, more couture-ish details on older vintage pieces from forgotten, mid-range designers, that I forget how our general standards of quality have gone down through the years.

Regardless, it is a cute dress - a lot cuter now that I feel more confident about it's authenticity! I'll have to get one of my skinny girlfriends to shimmy into some Spanx and try it on soon.