1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Cool Handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by listitcafe, Apr 28, 2010.

1. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I just got this small wrist bag its embossed vinyl with plastic elephants running across front... The scenes on front back and inside are all different.
    -Chris
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's gorgeous, Chris!

I had one of these bags, but much cruder tooling and a lot fewer elephants! Yours looks earlier, too...

3. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's lovely, I've had one like it before but without the elephants (I believe they are celluloid elephants) I really like the side with the Geisha girls.

I would think it dates to the early 1930s and would have been made as a Japanese export item.

Beautifully tooled leather work.

6. listitcafe

Just got in today had another call.... I loved that bag when I first saw it..... I got some other good ones too... But this one I had never seen before.....

-CHris

7. Love it; it's very unique and whimsical.

8. Wow! Very unique. Love it! :wub:

9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

10. fashionpoor

fashionpoor Registered Guest

Adorable! I love elephants!!! :D

11. joules

joules VFG Member

Chris, this is what I always love about what you pick up on. This is one of those items that has that magical quality! Feels like it would be seen in an old classic movie, with an exotic setting. Celluloid elephants? Oh my!

12. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

Wow, that certainly is very cool. Never seen anything quite like it.

13. listitcafe

I did pretty well this week... Have so many things to sort through....... I think this bag is my favorite. I never seen anything like it....

-Chris

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

What a cute bag! The book from the Hendrikje Museum of Handbags has photos of a few similar bags, all dated 1925-35, made in Japan.

Karin

15. listitcafe

I just saw it in a Purse book too....! It is laminated leather. At first I thought vinyl. The lady I bought it from had it tagged as 60's.... That bag looks better everyday.

-Chris

16. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Chris, it's gorgeous! I had a fabric one with celluloid elephants, but not as many elephants, and not as fancy. Are you keeping this, or selling it?

17. listitcafe

Keep or sell it....Probally sell it on my new site...Though I want to grab it and yell its mine mine mine.

-Chris

18. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Yes, hard to believe but it's tooled (or embossed?) leather. Such a gorgeous example...

19. listitcafe

I dont know it is so detailed the leaves are so detailed I would almost say handtooled....Never seen anything old are new this elaborate. And I used to handtool and paint leather myself.....

-CHris

20. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

How fabulous! That cascade of elephants tickles me too!

I can see that one being hard to part with :)

Sarah