1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very old dress and wool coat need help figuring out era and style

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by odscarydress, Feb 26, 2019.

1. odscarydress

odscarydress Registered Guest

So when i bought my house i found a very old dress. My wife is scared of it lol. she thinks its haunted because it looks like its from the victorian period or early 1900. I am no expert. I would love some of you experts to tell me. what is this and is it worth anything. I do not want to throw it away. Its a piece of history. the waste is so small i do not see anyone now a days wearing it.

there are no tags as if its home made. unless they are hidden somewhere. I know nothing about this. thanks for looking. Note the picture with my had is for size ref of waist. The palm of my hand measures apx 6.5 in I had a hard time taking the pic and holding the measure at the same time

20190226_161041.jpg
    see attached pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The coat is much older than the dress. I think the coat is 1900s - 1910s. The dress however, with that zipper at the center back, the rayon hem tape and the tulle underksirt is most likely 1950s. It has a very 1950s silhouette in the back view. Some ladies had teeny waists!

I agree - don't throw them away! There are vintage clothing dealers who would love to have them.

3. odscarydress

Thank you for that info. I am surprised I thought the dress was much older than the coat. its been hanging in the basement for probably 30 years +. I owned the home for 20. I wish I had a tiny waste lol.

Its so interesting to see how the style has changed so many times throughout the years. Its funny how some styles are cyclic and come back. the early 1900s was such an interesting time. After looking at 50s styles on google after you mentioned it I can see what you mean.

What would be the best way to find a dealer that would enjoy it more than I would. Has anyone had any luck selling on ebay or similar. I am not looking to get rich from it. I love history and preserving it.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

You could Google search "Vintage clothing stores near me" and see who your local dealers are. Selling locally is the easiest and quickest way for the the non-dealer.

5. odscarydress

thank you very much for all your help. I learned quite a bit about this from you. have a great day!