1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very old tablecloth

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintageboutique, Aug 23, 2007.

1. vintageboutique

vintageboutique Registered Guest

Hello!
    Can you help me please dating this old tablecloth?
    It is hand embroidered and it has a bronze metallic lace trim.
    it is large (164 cm long and 104 cm wide). The fabris is linen.
    Thank you very much!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cooltriker

cooltriker Registered Guest

sorry cant help you.. on the date... but i love hand embroidered things...you can allmost feel the patience and the love that someone has put into the item..
    at a stabb i would say 40's- 50's ...

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I can't help with date--just wanted to say how lovely it is! (In the larger picture, I took the embroidered motif for dragons, but in the closeup I can see they're griffins--how strange and wonderful...)

4. mcgrawandmcqueen

mcgrawandmcqueen Registered Guest

I would agree this is older, just how old is the question. The gilt braid is unusual. This is a Griffon which was a creature found in late victorian furniture etc. I also sell vintage linens under a different seller name on eBay and sold a cross stitched griffon tablecloth and napkins this summer for a sum that surprised me. I think this could be older then the 40's. Some key words I used were masculine, griffon, victorian-motif and gothic. It is in lovely condition and so unusual! -Lorinda