1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vested Gentress/Gentry

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NoraBarry, Nov 23, 2014.

1. NoraBarry

NoraBarry Registered Guest

I have a 1968 Political (Republican party) screen printed shift dress that has a tag "Vested Gentry". I know the dress is authentic but I am questioning the tag. The "Vested Gentry" tag was used for the original men's wear line of clothing and then switched over to the "Vested Gentress" label for the women's clothing line. I have examined the label with a jewelers loop and it does not appear to have been tampered with. The label itself appears authentic and the stitching thread and size matches the rest of the shift. I have had other "Vested Gentress" dresses and I am familiar with the fabric, style and printing.
    My question - Is it possible that the tag is a manufacturer's mistake? The shift came from an estate and it makes no sense that the women would have taken a label from a man's piece of clothing and placed it in her shift.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. joules

joules VFG Member

3. Yes please to photos.

4. NoraBarry

I have attached two photos of the dress. I also find it interesting that the Vested Gentry label would have been attached to men's clothing that more than likely would not have been made of cotten and kodel. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks so much! Kathy

Attached Files:

5. Thanks for the extra photos.

I did some googling and found a few similar articles: a shirt, smock, hat, bag and two similar dresses.

My guess is that the political party commissioned the company to print and produce some simple items that could be worn in the campaign by staff and helpers - they all feature the same fabric print so maybe that's why Vested Gentry put the same label on them all regardless of gender. It doesn't look like a mistaken label, more that there was a reason but we're aware of it.

6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

That dress is awesome.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

I agree with Nicole, and those were my thoughts as well, about this item.
    Quite a novelty. I'd wait for the next election year to sell it.

8. NoraBarry

Thank you so much ladies. You have been most helpful! You are right...I will be waiting until the upcoming election to put this in my shop.
    Thanks again! Kathy

9. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Gosh Kathy- that dress is amazing!

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

NoraBarry,

Did/Do you have two of the Vested Gentry political dresses? Do you have another that you will sell in an upcoming election? I found this posted before I saw your post about selling the dress later and it seems to have sold already as it is no longer in your store. I hope you have a second one to sell, as I am interested in buying it .

Thanks.

VestedGentryPoliticalDress.jpg