1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victorian (?) lace/linen child's dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, Jul 12, 2004.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Victorian (?) lace/linen child\'s dress

Hey all,

I picked up this very adorable old cream-colored linen and lace child's garment yesterday at the flea market. Overall it's in good solid shape except for two small mothbites and some staning due to age.

I would just like a better idea of how old it is and what sort of piece it is, since I am by no means familiar with child's fashions of the era. I suspect it's some sort of undergarment since it's too thin to be even a summer dress. Additionally, does anyone have any tips on how I could clean this piece without harming the fabric? I had thought about soaking it in warm water with a little handsoap but I will await your expertise before I attempt such a thing.

Pics below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks much!
    ~Tiff~

2. That is just beautiful, but this era is not my expertise. I am sure someone will be along in a minute to help.

3. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

I agree - beautiful!

Unfortunately, I can't help with this era either but hopefully our resident expert (Hollis!) will stop by soon :)

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

You might want to try Orvus to soak it in. You can often get it in quilt shops or feeder supply housese - they sell it as dogwash. It's a lot cheaper as dog wash than as quilt soap.

Now as to age, etc. - it is a child's dress, and it is a summer dress that would have gone over a opaque cotton simpler slip and other undies. That dropped waist was popular for a long time as was this type of tucked and lace trimmmed dress. I am no expert on children's clothes, so I usually put these in a broad period category , say 1900 - 1925. These can appeal to the doll collectors if they are small enough for the large size dolls.

Hollis

5. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Wow - that was quick. Lol. Thanks for your help, Hollis! I agree with you, while I was looking through my Victorian costume book I saw that this style of child's dress was around for a long time, which made it hard for me to pinpoint a date for it. So it was worn over other things? makes sense then - since it'd be a shame to hide all that lovely lace and detailing under a heavier outer layer.

Again, thanks and I will check out this Orvus stuff.

~Tiff~

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I have a photo of my great uncle at age 2 wearing a very similar dress. That would have been about 1910.

Sue knows children's things, I believe. Maybe she pop by soon.

Lizzie