1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victorian or Edwardian undergarment skirt?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenny, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Hi again!
    I find couple old skirts. The previous owner likes to collect antiques and she told me they are from the Victorian era and I don't believe her.
    I am not sure if I shall post 1 skirt per post or all at once.
    MVIMG_20171127_173904.jpg MVIMG_20171127_174407.jpg MVIMG_20171127_174412.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Jenny, generally one garment per post is best to avoid confusion, unless you have two very similar.
    It would help to give as many measurements as possible, such as waist, hip (that seam line) hem circumference (sweep) and length from waist to hem, and information about the fabric and fiber content. I am assuming this is cotton.
    From what I can see I would suggest this is homemade 1950's to early 60's broderie anglaise (a type of lace fabric) underskirt or petticoat due to the dropped waist panel which would fit in with some dresses of the period which did not flare out from the waist but lower down.
    It is possible however that it was made from older materials or an older garment.
    Here is a 1950's dressmaking pattern to illustrate the sort of dress it might have been worn under for example. You can't wear a normal net underskirt under this style as the bulk of gathered fabric between the waist and high hip ruins the line of the skirt.
    [​IMG]

Jenny likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Looks to me to be an antique petticoat, early 20th century. My guess is this was shortened from a longer petticoat, sometime around 1916 when women's skirts got much shorter and very full.

Jenny likes this.
  4. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

i agree with barbara.

Jenny likes this.
  5. I think it would be very helpful to know how long it is: it looks too short to be Edwardian and appears to be machine sewn broderie anglais so not likely to be Victorian (also it's the wrong shape). My first feeling was that it was either a refashioned piece or a more modern antique style piece. More information will help.

Jenny likes this.
  6. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

You guy's eyes are sharp. The skirt was actually shortened about 5 inches. So the total length of the skirt is 39 inches (99cm)

7. I think it's 1910s. I can see Melanie's point, but people didn't wear cotton, embroidered petticoats of that sort in the 50s under those drop-waist dresses. Too lumpy. They wore very full, smooth nylon crinolines with a snug, dropped waist. And the closure is exactly like all the closures on all my many antique petticoats.

Jenny likes this.
  8. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Thank you for the fascinating information! ❤️