VINTAGE 1980s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Jul 11, 2013.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Super bold print zebra stripe and hand printed floral nylon dress by Botto.

Probably one of the brightest in my collection!

IMG_4334.jpg

2. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

That is extremely interesting. How does it look on? The cut is so flattering. I can see it with some great black heels. No jewelry required, IMO. The more I look at it, the more I enjoy. Especially, those zebra stripes.

GemGem likes this.
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri Trade Member

I went to that site, thanks to your link, and wound up buying a pin, because it perfectly matched an outfit I bought about an hour before -- well, I am not into combat boots (see below).

AcmePinWTunicOutfitRustSleeves.jpg

When I went to order it, though, a message appeared that said something about opening their vault for the sale of some (all?) of the 1980's pins and once they are gone they are gone. When my pin arrived it came with this card:

AcmeStudioCloisonnePin.jpg
    So, it looks like they are not reproductions, but 1980's originals.

Thanks for the link!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  4. lindapoirier

Wow. Once for how perfect it is for that outfit. Wow, original 80s! I now have to buy something. I DID NOT KNOW THAT! Thanks for sharing 2 wows.

5. Kimberly Vigili

Kimberly Vigili Registered Guest

[​IMG]
    LOVED THESE FROM THE 80'S, ROCKED THEM ALL THE TIME!!
    HAD EVERY COLOR, EVERY PATTERN

6. mags_rags

mags_rags Trade Member

Kim, are those for customizing an oversized tee into fit and drape of choice? I had a couple of those that I loved. They worked great during my pregnancy in 1990, with leggings underneath.

7. lindapoirier

I too would love to see them demonstrated. Please and thank you?!

8. mags_rags

mags_rags Trade Member

Bed Bath & Beyond is currently offering tee shirt clips as an accessory for a 1980s Halloween costume. From their website:
    [​IMG]

foofoogal and GemGem like this.
  9. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Found this 1982 oversize E.T. pin the other day! I had forgotten about the giant pin trend..

20180930_155316-1.jpg

10. lindapoirier

Oh, I never saw them used. I need to get one and a big t-shirt!

I love pins! E.T. is great! Although I don't think these are 80s, the cowboy (1970s ?)I found at a thrift store and is 2" in diameter and the John Glenn (1959 or later) was a gift from my best friend and is 3.5" in diameter.

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

11. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I bought this gorgeous 80s choker recently for a snip, not knowing the designer, Farah Lister, apparently quite collectable but I know nothing about her. I have seen a few examples, some of them incredibly highly priced but then others so so much lower, I have no idea why??

thumbnail_IMG_4585.jpg

12. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

This screams 1980s MC Hammer to me as legs very large but label stated in label resource here early 90s.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

13. themerchantsofvintage

themerchantsofvintage Administrator Staff Member

Well the wall went down in November 89 and labels using “made in West Germany” could have been used well into the first year or so afterwards. Hammer came out with his “Cant Touch This” in 90, but the pants in the video were very harem in design. I think yours are earlier than late 80s/ early 90s but by how much, not sure. Probably had a matching top.

14. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Thank you. The widest part of the leg is 22.25 inches laid flat so I would call them Hammer pants. Thank you.

15. lindapoirier

Great find today. 80s does 40s play shirt! I love it!

IMG_2736.JPG

amandainvermont, Midge and mags_rags like this.
  16. lindapoirier

Recently came across two Eve Laplin light switch plates!!! Grainy photos at nighttime.

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

17. lindapoirier

Very happy to add this brooch and earrings to my Kaplin collection!! Seller of brooch accepted my offer, $70, and earrings were a great price on Etsy-$30.

IMG_3360.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  18. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

Just found this late 1980s Donnybrook coat at the thrift store. While researching it, I found out Rihanna owns the same one!

4C5A4928-641B-43F7-9684-79FAE541FE1B.jpeg 188A0ED9-1BBC-427B-AC2A-A8A386ECC000.jpeg
    114C0B8C-EA38-41CF-B55C-3F5990E80329.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  19. lindapoirier

So great. Sometimes I go through thrift stores grinning like a fool because of all the 80s fashion. I remember seeing Alicia Keys on The Voice and I swear she was wearing vintage 80s. If not 80s, definitely inspired by the 80s.

IMG_3362.JPG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM