1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Ads that Couldn't Be Used Today

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by jauntyrooster, Nov 16, 2010.

1. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Wow, where do you start with these? I actually have seen some of them, and was around when some were in the magazines.

The one that made me crack up was... the babies in cellophane...yikes!

Barbara

3. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

My fav: Blow in her face and she will follow you anywhere.

Yes, just as soon as I stop gagging and coughing...such romance!!!!

4. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

lots of spanking in those ads.. hmmm:scratchchin:

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe babies under cellophane is the one I thought was the funniest for political incorrectness too! I don't understand why the woman on her knees getting the spot out of the floor is a problem though -- am I missing some feminist subtext?

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Those are a riot! Although, a couple of them are downright scary....

7. Yikes!!

I don't get the one about the girls in the sweaters at the BBQ though :scratchchin: I must be missing something.

8. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

The Love's Baby Soft ad is VERY disturbing!! :teeth:

The one with the pig happily cutting itself into tasty slices makes me feel like vomiting :barf:

Lei

9. Most of these ads regularly appear in the Livejournal vintage ads community where people delight in posting horrifying ads. The Love's Baby Soft ad is very popular - apparently the model was 18 at the time, but it shows how acceptable the sexualisation of children had become in the late '70s. Thank the gods that idea went out of fashion.

Nicole

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe Loves Baby Soft Ad looks to be from the same period as Taxi Driver with Jodie Foster and Pretty Baby with Brooke SHeilds.

11. Sartorial Eloquence

Sartorial Eloquence Registered Guest

The link in the OP isn't working now but I know the ad you mean. If the model was indeed 18 I'm surprised and somewhat relieved, though I'm not sure using a "sexier than you think" model who looks like a child is really that much better than an actual child model.
    The babies in cellophane were so hilariously horrifying I saved them on my computer.
    [​IMG]

I was shocked to see the word used to refer to the shade of brown used to knit this cardigan, but apparently such usage was commonplace in the 1940s:
    [​IMG]

One of my favourites:
    [​IMG]

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing! Some of these ads make you wonder if you should laugh or not, and some just make you choke... but I still love vintage ads, for all their craziness. A classic is also the Heineken ad with the baby...

13. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

14. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

The OP is from 2010 so I am not surprised it isn't working.

I think that might be the same Amanda. Thank You for adding!!!! :clapping:

15. Sartorial Eloquence

I didn't see the one originally linked but I think that's a similar list featuring some of the same ads.

16. Sartorial Eloquence

One from my town, circa 1911. I don't think "Toilet Club" is a phrase we're likely to encounter much nowadays! 1911-12 County Toilet Club (hairdressing).jpg

Midge likes this.