1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage/Antique Buttons

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by igotbuttons, Jul 7, 2005.

1. igotbuttons

igotbuttons Registered Guest

I understand that I can post my buttons here? I collect buttons first and foremost and then the garments to which they are (or were) attached. Although I hesitate to separate buttons from garments when they are so suitably matched!

So, I guess I'm showing off some of my buttons (a part of fashion):

A Pennsylvania State Button Award Winning Tray of Black Glass Buttons:
    http://usedstuff.home.att.net/blglcomp.htm

My favorite "type" of glass buttons:
    http://igotbuttons.home.att.net/images/poppers.jpg

Assorted Ceramic buttons:

http://igotbuttons.home.att.net/images/ceramicsplus.jpg

Those of us who are button collectors often wonder about the garments some of our fabulous buttons came off of and now that I'm on this forum I'm sure that I'll be seeing some great examples of clothing with the buttons attached!

If you have any questions about buttons feel free to send them to me and I'll be happy to help out in any way that I can !

Patti

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Yes, you most definitely can show buttons here!

Do you think some of the fancy buttons were made for post manufactur embellishment rather than clothing coming from the maker with the fancy ones.? Using really nice, decorated buttons are something that has really been lost over the years for makers to utilize. Even really funky looking unusually shaped plastic buttons don't happen all that often anymore.

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Patti,

thank you for sharing! I just remembered I have a vintage
    satsumi buckle....your ceramic display jogged my memory!

You know your buttons! I know that I will definitely have some
    questions for you :clapping:

Sue

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Wonderful! You can bet that we'll have plenty of button questions for you. I've been "collecting" buttons for years, but I know very little about them.

And from now on we'll have to make sure we show any interesting buttons that are on our clothing finds.

Lizzie

5. Wow, those are fabulous. Now I need to go find that box of buttons I have around here so I can ask questions.:spin:

6. igotbuttons

LOL! I love jogging people's memories! I would be happy to help anyone with any questions about their buttons.

It is commonly believed that many of the high end buttons ( the really nice ones ) were in use on the clothing of ladies of means. But, then again, many buttons were not even used to fasten clothing but merely as ornamentation so it is fair to consider that many of the buttons I have were never put through a buttonhole!

Believe me, my paltry little collection is just the tip of the iceberg! I've seen buttons from other collectors/dealers that make me drool and if MY buttons make YOU drool you can imagine what I mean!

Thanks for the praise!

Patti

7. I love buttons, too. Although I probably horde them rather than collect them lol.

I know squat about buttons though.

What is the 'holy grail' of button collecting?

Marie

8. igotbuttons

Hmm...the Holy Grail? Hard to say because there are so many specialties like military buttons with some from the Civil War era fetching in the tens of thousands of dollars EACH!

I suppose each individual collector has their own personal Holy Grail button. I'd like to acquire a Wedgwood button or a painted Ivory scene from the 18th century. There are just TOO many to pick one!

Patti

9. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I hope you find one! and then show it too us :)