1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage/ Antique Sombrero

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LSchaffnit, Nov 22, 2020.

1. LSchaffnit

LSchaffnit Registered Guest

Hello!

I’m trying to date this old sombrero. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone seen something similar? It seems pretty rare since I’m not really seeing anything with similar crochet or as pointed. Any ideas on how old it might be?

Thanks!
    -Laura

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Sombreros are a specialty area of hat collecting and costume collecting, and not one I am all that familiar with. I can get a general idea from handling the hat, which of course is not going to help here. The straw is braided, not crochet. Can you show a close up of the trim on the band and edge, and also the string? Also a shot of the interior might be helpful.

Does it have grommets that the string/cord goes through?

I do not think it is rare, the straw is fairly typical. I get a sense of it not being much older than mid 20th century. But hard to say right now.

LSchaffnit likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I suspect its actually a beach hat from 1939 when those pointed crowns were popular. It was possibly made in Mexico... but I am quite sure its not ethnographic in intention.

LSchaffnit and thespectrum like this.
  4. LSchaffnit

LSchaffnit Registered Guest

Thanks for your replies! Here are a few more close-up shots. I was referring to the band/ edging when I said “crochet” but I actually think it’s woven or knitted. Let me know what you guys think!
    -Laura

Attached Files:

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I was thinking late 30s beach hat as well............

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

It looks like a late 1930s beach hat to me too^^^