1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vintage bakelite!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by lynnenyc, Mar 9, 2005.

1. lynnenyc

lynnenyc Registered Guest

hi -
    i just joined this great forum - my mom and i have been vintage bakelite jewelry dealers for over 20 years and have an online shop for 2+ years - we deal in vintage bakelite, lucite, celluloid, vintage purses - everything one needs to accessorize - and of course bakelite flatware and household items - guess we love all things bakelite!

pls visit our shop if you have the time - and introduce yourselves to us!

linda
    http://www.rubylane.com/shops/evelynnesoldiesbutgoodies

2. Linda, everything looks great! Love it all.

Welcome, from another Linda.

3. cymbeline

cymbeline Registered Guest

Welcome Linda, You have some lovely items!
    kelly

4. Bobbi

Bobbi Registered Guest

I love your bakelite things!! Nice to meet you (I'm new too)

:hiya: bobbi

5. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Hi to both of you!!! Welcome aboard! :hiya:

<i>Don't no-one tell Lizzie there's a Scottie dog brooch in amongst that jewellery!!!</i> :bouncy:

6. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Welcome, Linda. Have you ever seen a plastic/vinyl raincoat with a Bakelite label? I've got one and will be listing it soon. It's quite plain and you would never dream it had anything to do with Bakelite until you see the label.

7. route66gal

route66gal Registered Guest

Welcome! I'm *drooling* over the stuff on your site. Great mix of stuff!!

:party:

-Melanie

8. lynnenyc

lynnenyc Registered Guest

hi all -
    thanks for the kudos for our shop - glad you like bakelite - as we do - i just love those scottie dog scatter pins also - they just take my breath way - they are amazing in person! cannot believe we found them.

sometimes just the right accessory does make the outfit....

linda
    http://www.rubylane.com/shops/evelynnesoldiesbutgoodies

9. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

Hey linda. thought I'd show you this funny little hand saw we got in the other day, which I'm pretty sure is bakelite. Thought you might appreciate it. :)

[​IMG]

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

It certainly *looks* like bakelite to me.

But you would have to test it to be definitive

11. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

How do you do that? (The only thing I've ever heard is that if it's heated - by, say, rubbing one's thumb across it - that it gives off a slight petroleum smell.)

12. Hi Charapa! Welcome!

There is a link somewhere for testing that stuff. Does someone have it?

13. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

lovely items, welcome!! l have some what i think are celluloid, buckles, bracelets and brooches etc...how do l tell if plastic, celluloid or bakelite , it always confuses me....
    l know the hot pin trick, but thats damaging..and the static electric trick, but cant egt that to work either wya...drop into hot water and see if it smells like shellac lacquer....
    your thoughts would eb appreciated..
    sara x

14. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

15. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

Neat! Thanks. :)

16. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Perhaps Linda can update this info. I was given a ration of OLD Formula 409, with which an antique dealer friend of mine taught me to test for bakelite. Dampen a paper towel with it, rub on the item, and if it is bakelite, the towel will be yellow. No mistaking, quite yellow. I have been having 100% success testing this way, but my control group has been 5 items, LOL!

~Welcome Linda!

17. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Welcome!!!!!!!:hiya:

I will definelty be visting your site now. My grandmother has many items bakelite items. I can't wait to go raid her stash and see if you have similar items!!!!:clapping: