1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage buys from and me wearing vintage on my trip...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok, here they are! My fab vintage finds - and me wearing vintage to some of the Gene convention functions:

[​IMG]
    A beautiful 1946 issue of L'Officiel de la Couture et de la Mode. Mouthwatering! A dealer at the convention sold these.

[​IMG]
    A pretty vintage Richard Hudnut powder compact, found at a reasonable price in a shop in Philadelphia's Antique Row.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A Pendleton 49er, from the same shop as the powder compact. Without this forum I wouldn't even have known what this is ;)! It's in perfect condition - and I believe due to the label without the wool sign, pre-mid 60s? Love the big buttons too! I will wear it with a belt though, like it's been mentioned here some time ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pretty Vanity Fair slip. 1950s is my guess. There's some discoloration, but I didn't pay much for it and couldn't resist the color :wub:. The fabric at the bust and at the ruffle at the bottom is very finely pleated. Found at a vintage shop on Philly's South Street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dressing up for the Red Carpet Ball evening function :D. It was "dress as your favourite movie star if you want to". I didn't do that, but thought I could give this 70s poly dress a kind of 30s/40s glam spin - with lots of glittery fake jewellery (vintage and new), dressy shoes (new), a vintage After Five clutch and by giving my hair a quick curl. Someone thought I was Miranda from Sex and the City... I hadn't even thought about that :hysterical:. I've had this dress for years but haven't worn it before. I adore it - it's easy to pack as it doesn't crease, and wearing it feels great!

[​IMG]
    The Farewell Dinner - me wearing my vintage Bonwit Teller dress, and my Gene travel doll. Sorry, nobody managed to take a decent pic of me in this in full length... the dress is just a short one, ending a the knees in front, and it's a tad longer in the back.

[​IMG]
    And finally, my dolls got their own miniature lucite purse! Will Hardy, the man behind the Wilardy bags makes these - a dealer was selling them at the convention. Madra nabbed it right away, of course... :lol:.

Karin

2. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

you look great and found some nice finds!

I love the mini lucite bag--truly fab!

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

You look wonderful in your vintage frocks--love the Bonwit, and that Hudnut compact is lovely!

And yes, that mini-lucite purse is TOO cute!

4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

You look wonderful, and some very nice finds I love the Richard Hudnut powder compact that will look great in your bag.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

you are STUNNING, my dear! you really put it all together so well!! wowowow~~~ and now i can totally see how someone thought you were Miranda....!!!!

6. You look great. The dolls have such wonderful taste too!!

7. missproper

missproper Alumni

Looking gorgeous in that red gown!!

8. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

A goddess in red! You look smashing in that gown and what could be cuter than a doll sized Willardy purse!

Melody

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You look so chic and lovely in that gown! That miniature purse for your doll is just so adorable!

10. Midge

Thanks everybody! It was tons of fun, and "dressing up" was of course part of it. That red dress feels gorgeous to wear. I bought it when I had only started to buy vintage, and was prone to go only for evening wear. But now I know just why I bought it... must've been in my closet for almost 10 years!

I did spend too much money, but, hey, you only live once :spin:.

Karin

11. joules

joules VFG Member

I think you are a very smart shopper! And it's such a fun way to remember the trip, right?
    Cuter than Miranda, IMHO.

12. Midge

That the thing! I don't usually by "normal" souvenirs. My souvenirs are the dolls, vintage and new clothes, art books from exhibitions and whatever else I buy abroad.

Karin

13. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Not only did you SCORE!
    You Looked Fantastic doing it!

14. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

\"YOU ROOK MARVELOUS!!!\"

Everything's a plus.... but you could always re-dye that red slip!
    I agree with the "Miranda" observation. You send your photo into those impersonator websites..maybe you'd pick up a new gig?

15. Midge

As far as the lookalike thing goes - my best friend has a friend who works for a touroperator that was looking for Sex and the City lookalikes for a competition to win a trip to NY. Seeing the pictures they got, and looking at myself in that getup, I realised I could have easily sent in that pic - but the competition was before that trip, and I simply hadn't thought of it. :D I have given two Barbie dolls an SATC makeover, and my friend actually asked me to send in a pic of one of the dolls for the competition (Charlotte, btw). I don't have curly hair - that curly was a quick thing with bendable rollers - I hadn't realised it'd work so well or that I'd look like Miranda. Oh well, if I ever go to a fancy-dress thing again, I know as who to go :cool:.

Karin