1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Chanel cape/cloak

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sharon Jennings, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Sharon Jennings

Sharon Jennings Registered Guest

06C3BE02-233F-4273-86D9-A6ACE60EA45B.jpeg Hi, all, I have recently acquired a vintage Chanel cape or cloak and would like help in identifying its age. There is only one side-seam label, with no tape underneath or any other identifying marks on the garment (I was not able to upload a photo of the Cape, as it was apparently too big a file). I am thinking that it is perhaps late 20’s early 30’s? The label appears to have been re-stitched onto the seam. Am having trouble finding anyone to authenticate—any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We can't authenticate here either, but you are correct that the label is sewn in badly and makes the garment suspect. If you can reduce the size of your photo and post it, we might be able to help you date it more accurately, but we can't authenticate.

3. Sharon Jennings

Thank you so much—I have resized my photos and am posting them here in hopes that they will help provide a closer examination of the cape.

Attached Files:

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks late 20s to me, and its definitely quality construction commensurate with French couture work.

5. Sharon Jennings

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me. I do realize that it is not possible to have any garment authenticated on the Vintage Fashion Guild site--my hope is to one day have this cape examined by someone who may be able to tell me if it appears to be an authentic Chanel or a look-alike with a Chanel label sewn in. I am not sure if it will even be possible to authenticate (given the fact that the label has been re-attached), but perhaps there are other telling factors involved in determining if this is a true Chanel. Anyhow, I will continue to work on this project and I truly appreciate your input!