1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Christmas and Vintage Mom

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by lkranieri, Dec 16, 2018.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

That was fun. As a child I never saw anybody who had a "fake" tree - they were all fresh.

Racked Vintage and lkranieri like this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Fun pix, thanks! In the late 50s/early 60s I lived in a home that was as modern (Danish Modern) as Mad Men. My parents had the silver tree and the color wheel.
    My first Christmas on my own I had a real tree. After I started being a cat lady I had to give up trees. They took all of the ornaments off, they climbed them and they drank the tree water.
    When my husband was in college he bought a peach flocked tree for his apartment and left it up until March.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you all for the kind and enthusiastic comments. Love your pink tree lindapoirier!

Did anyone notice the color wheel at ceiling height in the fourth photo? It took me a minute to realize what that was.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Racked Vintage likes this.
  8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Whoa, Linda, we have a pink tree as well! We're still working on conked-out lights this year (spent all day yesterday :rolleyes:) but here's last year's! tree2017.jpg

Also, last year I dug up this photo of my mother in the 40s with her Christmas tree. Awfully blurry, but still...I love her shoes!

mama40schristmastree.png

Does anyone else look at old candid photos like those in the piece Lynne posted and scour for things you've actually sold or owned?

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Old tinsel was high in lead - probably not good for pets and small children who might pick up fragments and eat it, but hung beautifully and reflected the lights like nothing else. I had 4 or 5 boxes I found in an old dingy 5 & dime store while vacationing in Florida 3o+ years ago - for years, I would apply strand by strand and then carefully remove the same way and store wrapped in muslin for the following year. Even with breakage, I could salvage about 75%. Eventually, it started to feel too OCD and I stopped using it. Not sure if I still have what's left in a holiday box somewhere or not.

Modern tinsel is not worth the trouble IMO. Plastic, no crinkle to it, and it floats in a breeze. ignoreemoti

10. thespectrum

My personal Christmas tree in 1949 and the family tree the same year:
    1949TREEB.jpg
    40STREEA.jpg

11. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Love all the vintage Christmas stuff!!!

As far as tinsel goes, I have a treasured vintage metallic gold garland in "well loved" condition.

Here's a pic of it on my fireplace mirror!
    20181218_165454.jpg

12. Maggie wrote: "Does anyone else look at old candid photos like those in the piece Lynne posted and scour for things you've actually sold or owned?"

I think that, in a nutshell, is the appeal and the motivation behind the love of all things vintage!

Racked Vintage and denisebrain like this.
  13. amandainvermont

Linda - LOVE your recent vintage purchases.

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

15. Love those pink trees!

16. thespectrum

I just posted this on IG, it's only the top of our silver tree, I am still looking for more Christmas pix from that era but I think they are actually slides. I have boxes full of slides. Talk about old-fashioned technology! I wish I had pix of the full tree with the color wheel.
    1965, my Granny, me, my stepmother and the top of the tree.
    3GENSXMASA.jpg

17. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Linda, I LOVE it!! Also after a quick glance, I was certain that said "f*cker flame lights* holiday lightsoopsemoti

Also, I am obsessed with Christmas trees. They just hold a special place in my heart with memories of my grandmother and decorating the tree every year with my mother. Here is a photo of my ceramic and misc. collection as well as my favorite tree of the bunch - my silver pom pom tree with Shiny Brights! I have 24 trees at last count. christmas tree
    Ceramic Trees 2019.jpg Ceramic Trees 2019 1.jpg

18. amandainvermont

LOVE the Christmas tree collection.

19. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Yes! Lol Linda...my white and blue tree is bluebirds! A very unique one, indeed. I love all your items as well. Vintage Christmas is the BEST!!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.