1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Erin Wells

Erin Wells Registered Guest

Hi there!

I apologize for the poor quality photos, but I found this coat and purchased it because I loved it. I love the shape and style. I have had it for about 6 months now, and as the weather finally dipped below 900 here in Florida, I got it out today. I have always been puzzled by this coat.

My gut says 80s 90s or even more modern. There aren't any tags, the front pockets are faux, but have great darts in them. The lining is beautiful and feels like a thick rayon, but I am not sure. Is this just a nice coat that perhaps went with a suit bottom? Or is this a vintage piece?

Thank you in advance!

(it is a green and brown plaid, hard to see in the poor photo)

Attached Files:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Very stylish and I can see why it caught your eye. Sending this back to the top.

3. Erin Wells

Thank you, Laura! It is so much nicer in person and flawless! I really should take a proper photo... thank you for your response!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yes, please, more and better images would help us help you, Erin! the darting you mention, the seam finishes (or is it fully lined with no exposed seams at all?) front. back. close up of the plaid. no labels at all??

that lining looks delicious! looking forward to seeing more, please! :)

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I have had coats with that lining. They were 1960s and made in Hong Kong. The boxy cut and largish buttons spaced widely look 1960s as well.

Jonathan likes this.
  6. Erin Wells

Thank you, Hollis!! Thats great to know! Would it have come with a skirt or pants? I finally got around to taking some proper photos! Thank you all for responding!

Attached Files:

7. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

I agree with Hollis, and wanted to answer the skirt/pant question. I have normally seen these jackets with skirts, but I have rarely had them with pants to match. This one looks mid 1960s. The style, finishing, and particularly the lining tells me it was a Hong Kong custom tailored piece. Because it was custom, the client chose whether to wear a skirt or pant to match (customarily a skirt).

Oftentimes the custom items like this from 60s Hong Kong will have the owner's name inside, stitched in cursive on a label and sewn to the lining, and sometimes the date it was finished.

Hope this helps! :)
    April

peaceful vintage likes this.
  8. Erin Wells

Wow! Thank you, April! I have searched it inside and out and haven't found any tags or markings, but that is very interesting! I love the style! Now, I wish I had gone back to the thrift store to look for the skirt! lol

Thank you for your reply!

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree with April - almost always a skirt to match, but pants would not be impossible.