1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cotton Pants & Coat. Help date?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Erin Wells, May 21, 2019.

1. Erin Wells

Erin Wells Registered Guest

Hi all!

I came across these pants at the thrift store and was just in love with the pocket and button detail. The back zipper had me looking more as well as the stitching and the tag. I went along on my hunt through the store and then found the matching shirt/jacket. So excited!

I am really stumped with the era. I have been pretty proud of myself lately, with dating an item by style, construction etc. However I am FAR from an expert. This is definitely a cotton suit/set but when was this style worn? My guess is 50s? The batwing type top and capris suggest that to me, but was this a beach outfit or for work? Any information would be so appreciated! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Great set. I think you are correct with 5os.
    Looks like beach or casual wear. Women were not allowed to wear pants to work in those days.

Look forward to what others think.

Erin Wells likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would go with really early 50s, or even late 40s 1948-52ish. The sort of thing Doris Day would wear to take the dog to the grooming salon in her woody station wagon, or to take the kids to the park for a wiener roast and watch a ball game...

4. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Lovely set. Looks like nice linen from pictures. Is this correct?

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I thought it might be linen also, which would be very nice. I also agree with Jonathan's dating.

I LOVE it!

Erin Wells likes this.
  7. Erin Wells

Thank you so much for your reply! I think I meant more of work like in the yard, other than office work, but you are so right! Thank you!

8. Erin Wells

LOVE that image of Doris Day in this outfit! Thank you!!

9. Erin Wells

Thank you for your reply! It may be linen, now that you say! It certainly does feel like it!

foofoogal likes this.