1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vintage dress information

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Carrie Cummins, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Carrie Cummins

Carrie Cummins Registered Guest

IMAG4956.jpg IMAG4956.jpg IMAG4911.jpg IMAG4958.jpg Recently went to a local rummage sale for costume ideas and props for my sons school play. It was six dollars for whatever you could stuff in a bag..so I started stuffing. I was going to just hand it over until my husband said that I should check into the label on this dress before I give it over to the school to cut alter or do what they want. So I started to research but I just couldn't get information. My question is what year is this dress, and should I give it to the school to cut, alter or whatever. Any information about this is greatly appreciated. Label reads ADOH 29

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

That rummage sale sounds like fun! My first vintage buying experience was at a rummage sale in the 1970s.

That union label was used from 1974-1995. The lines of the dress look early 80s to me. Nice find!

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/ilgwu

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Nice rummage sale find! I used to get amazing items back in the 70s and 80s at rummage sales!
    It's difficult to say for certain but the sizing label looks older to me, it actually looks more like a 1960s label, so I am a bit confused in this case as the union label is newer.

4. Carrie Cummins

5. poppysvintageclothing

Could you possibly pose the dress on a form or at least have it hanging from a hanger, that could help.

6. Carrie Cummins

Don't have a dress foam but did hang it on a hanger. Front picture and back and close up of the embellishment. It's a beautiful dress. IMAG4961.jpg IMAG4962.jpg IMAG4963.jpg

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

8. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

I agree with it being 80s too. Very pretty!

9. Carrie Cummins

So here's the big question do I give it to the school or look into selling it therefore it goes to someone who appreciates vintage clothing. Like I said earlier I just went to get clothing and props for a play. I guess I will have to post some of the other pieces of clothing to see if they to are vintage and worth saving.

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Don't give it back. Sell it. 80s is very popular with lots of people and this might be a very nice bridal piece, from bride to mother of the bride.

11. poppysvintageclothing

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree with 1980s. However I have not had much luck reselling 1980s wedding gowns or formal gowns for any worthwhile prices unless they had a really good label or some special designs features/trims. And even then. But that could be my bad luck!

13. Carrie Cummins

I don't have much in it, I just counted all the clothing I shoved in that brown paper bag for $6, and it seems like I only purchased it for .45 cents, so whatever I get from it will be profit which is always a good thing. I will have to let you know how I did.

14. Definitely 80s, definitely a 1974-95 ILGWU tag.