1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Embroidered Jackets Dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caleb Phillips, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

Hi! So i've got a couple more for yall. I would love any input on dating for these two pieces. I bought them from a women's estate with pieces from the 60s-90s. This is far out of my area of expertise so I would appreciate any insight. Thank you!! , (2 of 10).jpg , (3 of 10).jpg , (9 of 10).jpg , (10 of 10).jpg , (4 of 10).jpg , (6 of 10).jpg , (10 of 10).jpg

GemGem likes this.
  2. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

Also if you know anything about the embroidery that would be amazing too! Is it considered crewel?

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The little 'M' tag in the seam is a more modern feature. I'm not sure when that started, but they weren't around in the 60s when these hippie-style nehru jackets would have originally come into fashion. I suspect these are 90s revival of 60s hippy chic, which was big mid-decade, if I remember correctly. They look like they are Indian made for export.

4. They look very 1990's "Coldwater Creek" to me. :)
    (EDIT: The type of thing that catalog/store would sell. I have no idea if they actually did sell them.)

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

These jackets have a type of chain-stitch embroidery called "ari" and are made in Kashmir, India. They are hard to date as this style of jacket has been made for decades, but as Jonathan noted, the size label shows them to be more contemporary. Also, to me, the colors and patterns of the embroidery on your jackets looks contemporary (or at least 1990s or later). You can see some for sale on this website: https://www.exoticindiaart.com/textiles/ladiestops/jackets/

Metro Retro Vintage, Midge and GemGem like this.