1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Emilio Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by bartondoll, Jul 13, 2004.

1. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

No...not Pucci, but I like it better :)

It's fun, funky and rich looking.

The label:

[​IMG]

The dress:

[​IMG]

One of these days, along with Paganne and Pucci, some of these other Italian labels are going to garner more respect.

Sue

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I agree with you Sue, Italian fashion outside of the usual Gucci, Pucci, Fiorucci are largely ignored. Some of their woolens, and knits from the 50s and 60s are superlative -- far underated. And their couture is always very perky, often with an inate sense of humour. French couture often takes itself too seriously, but the Italians look like they are just having fun!

3. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

What a great dress Sue, and you've shown it to perfection. The fabric and print really glow!

Carolyn

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I've seen that label, and the prints are always wonderful, just like yours. That looks like a mystery label to me!

Lizzie

5. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

I think I have a dress with this label, too. Now, if I could only remember which storage bin it is in....;)

Gail

6. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Actually - I've seen that label also, I remember it from some time back on the VCA Board - have a feeling it was Jen (jumbleaya) - and for some reason I seem to remember she researched it and it *was* an early Emilio Pucci...I think she contacted an Italian museum for info on it.

sue! - check this out before listing it - the old grey cells aren't exactly 100% these days, but I'm almost sure this is the same one!

7. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Whoa....that would be amazing Margaret.

Any Emilio Borghese that have been on Ebay have never done that
    well.....I will definitely research this!

Thank you

Sue

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Well, I just 'googled' and 'asked jeeves', and found a big fat nothing, other than some other examples of this label on various sites - no info though.

:(

9. bigchief

I do believe Signore Pucci hailed from Florence - I'd be really surprised if anything he designed had a label that mentions Rome.

I think it's a fabulous dress though - is it silk? Knit or woven? As you know, the words Vintage Italian Knit are golden :)

Carolyn

10. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

It is very rich looking!

11. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

no content tag, although it does say dry clean only.

Feels like a quality jersey knit, don't know if it is polyester
    or silk though.

Did some more searching this morning and still can't find
    anything on this label/designer, and any Pucci info I find
    has no reference to this name.

Sue

12. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

I do remember researching the label when I first found my dress, but I came up with a big fat "0" so I tucked it away for later. Ironically, I did find the exact dress...same color and everything....which did sell on ebay...but not for very much and only one bidder. This was about a year ago. Perhaps his time has come :)

Gail

13. Hey, how much for the shoes? :P

Very pretty dress, Sue. ...sophisticated gypsy.

I think your shoe-design career is coming right along, too. :D

Steph

14. bigchief

LOL re: the shoes, Steph!

:)

Carolyn

15. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Lookout Manolo Blahnik!

:P

16. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

If you have a look at Kent State collection and blurb, it says Pucci first started out selling in Florence AND Rome AND somewhere else, using only the name "Emilio" on his label - until things took off and then his (-previously too aristocratic to be used) surname came into the label.

Borghese is a major fashion house for perfumes etc right now - have to wonder if they also did clothes etc back then.

17. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Thanks Margaret. Yes, I saw that Kent State bio, howver
    I still couldn't put "borghese" with Emilio....maybe I should
    try contacting one of the Italian museums. I can
    catbox this dress, as it doesn't take much room! :)

Sue

18. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

I love the color and the print. Agree about Italian stuff.

Deb