1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RustySpurVintage

RustySpurVintage Registered Guest

Hi all. I know GAP has been around since 1969. I searched around on eBay and couldn't find any "vintage" GAP with the old label that was used from 69-86. I actually found an old GAP polo shirt today with the old label (kinda cool). Does anyone know if these are collectible? Worth anything? Thanks!
    Adam

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The shirt looks 90's-00's to me, I'd be wary of these sort of labels. I have seen major brands producing retro style labels lately that look not dissimilar, in particular the stonewashed print on twill cotton giving the 'aged' look.
    A better clue would be the made in Turkey. I can't think of when it was popular to produce there, but most modern clothes are made in Romania/Hungary, 80's tend to be China, Japan etc. so that could also lead to 90's.

3. I agree that this is modern. Chinese production started in the early '90s.

4. RustySpurVintage

RustySpurVintage Registered Guest

Thanks! That is good info on the dates of production with regards to location made. Also, the label is a bit off to be a true vintage GAP. A true vintage would have the word "The" to the top left of the word "gap" which this label doesn't. As well, I checked the seam tag and even though it is very badly faded I think I can make out a production date and the last two numbers are "02" indicating it was made in 2002. Oh well! I'll keep looking. Just think it would be fun to find one!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Just my 2 cents... seeing where a lot of the clothes we buy here come from and came from in the last 20 years or so, I would also put anything made in Turkey in the 00s.

Karin

6. juttyh@yahoo

juttyh@yahoo Registered Guest

I know this thread is old, but I was just wondering if you are stii on the hunt for vintage Gap clothing? The labels in you pictures are not old as you have found out. Husband and wife est. The gap in 1969, but didn't not make their own line of clothing with the gap label in until 1973. Which read authentic Gap clothing. I happen to have an original wool coat with this label. Under the label on a separate tag reads 112673. Yes it's from the first year they actually put their own name on clothing. Hope this helps. And by the way in winter, when it's sub freezing out, it's my go to. Still 100% perfect condition.

EndlessAlley likes this.