1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage handbag? authentic?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by tweany, Feb 27, 2009.

1. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Hi there

I have been collecting Vintage handbags for many years mainly leather, suede, lizard skin ect, yet I have now received this one which should be attached as piccs.

Its a bamboo style handbag

If you could help me with my question as to what age is it, and it is really Vintage?, I have tried to work out the fixtures and fittings ect to try and date yet it, as this style is new to me I really am stuck , yet really could share whether its real or not.

Does this look like a handbag/purse that is new and been made to look old or am I just being a cynic here?

Any feedback would be most appreciated

my passion is Waldys, Corde, and Mappin & Webb

thanks so much

Tweany.

p.s

sorry if my typing is a bit out of whack I have an illness which makes me giddy on the pc

my 1st post some time ago regarding ACE zippers, I located the Co. details and address in the UK if anyone would like to receive the info (I have not called them as yet due to being distracted as you do)

2. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

There are no pictures.

3. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

opps

Not sure why the piccs did not attach I clicked from pjeg and they were within the attached piccs box, I'll have another attempt later, maybe there is a different way to attach

thanks for advising

Tweany

4. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hi Tweany -
    The pics have to be hosted on another site in order to show up - you can't upload them from your computer.

Not sure if that's the problem here or not but from your phrasing I thought it might be :)

If so - try uploading them to Flickr.com and they'll give you a link or HTML to insert here.

5. You can actually attach them from your computer without having them hosted online Just put them in that 'attachment' box at the bottom.

It will show up like this:

6. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Hi there

thats what I did attach them to the bottom into the box, most odd, had a look on site to seek further info, may try another way.

:wacko:

Feel so silly now after sending my post, I'll have another go
    with just one to see if this works
    as I have several to show as much detail as poss

there should be now just one attahed??

sorry folks

Tweany

7. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Hi

I have worked out that my picc is too big, that cause I set in on macro maybe hmmm as en error message came up on the last post which should have had the one picc

not sure know how to get any to ya?

oh well back to the drawing board

Tweany

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Hmmm...I never knew that. Let me try that here, as it is not showing up in the preview screen...

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Son of a gun...it worked. I never saw it in the preview, so I assumed it was not viable. You just made my life much easier! Thanks--and, tweany, I am sorry for the thread hijack, but I look forward to seeing your pictures.

10. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Lucky you!

so glad it helped out, anything for an easy life LOL

I guess I'll have to try yet another way as suggested earlier as I do so want some input

we'll get there I promise!

Tweany

11. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

tweany, I'm dying to see your bag! In order to attach files to a post, you have to use the "reply" button at the bottom of the last post. You can't attach by using the "quick reply" button. You'll see a box at the very bottom of the reply screen that will allow you to browse and choose files from your computer. I'm not sure how many you can do, but I think it's at least three. You won't be able to "see" that the files attached until you make your post live.

It can be confusing, which is why someone else's (Kristine, I think?) suggestion to upload them first to a web site like Flickr or Photobucket (I use Photobucket--it's SO easy), then copy and paste the IMG codes into your post is easier. At least I think so!

If you continue to have a problem, please post again, and I'm sure someone will jump in and help you walk through it!

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

13. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Hi there

thanks for all your suggestions to date, so again I am going to try to attach x 3 yet it seems that the piccs are too large this is because I use a macro setting on the camera to show the finer detail.

If they could be made smaller I could try that or load them to one of the holding sites like photobucket (yet to set up) any one know how to reduce the settings of piccs??

I know its taking some time to get around this problem which to me seems really odd as I press a few buttons and bingo.

Dontcha start collecting rotten tomatos if this goes wrong will ya? cause I have a great receipe for a relish and that would be such a waste!

here we go then

any offers if none appear much appreciated

oh I just wanted to share that I live about an hours drive from the fabulous Bath museum in the UK, I expect most of you know about this its now called something more prestigous yet it houses the fab vintage shoes, clothes and various collections one of the highlights in ever in the UK and of course the V&A in London. (both of these great museums are very friendly (one could not find one of my UK labels!)

right going to press the reply button with my piccs in the attachment box

speak soon

Tweany

14. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

NOPE!!:powwows::powwows::powwows:

:violins: OH KNOW

Now I look like red tomato

Tweany
    :fainting:

15. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

16. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Hi again

had a quick run through on photobucket reduced the size and have tried to attached from this site hope it works ;)
    Tweany

[​IMG]

17. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Thanks it worked! from photo bucket

so will try and arrange a few close up shots as well

any feedback appreciated as note familiar with this style nor medium

I am a cynic as above so no worry if you feel its not real, as I collect Leather, suede purse/bags so this really is a new one to me yet have been advised it authentic Vintage hmmm?

Tweany

[​IMG]

18. tweany

tweany Registered Guest

Bamboo feet
    [​IMG]

Bamboo fittings/fastner
    this is where along with the fittings I feel its modern yet cannot age, any feedback please

[​IMG]

Many thanks

Tweany

19. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Hi there!
    This looks like a souvenir bag. With bamboo and natural fiber bags like this, it's always hard to tell because the hardware could be old, or it could just be typical of a country that doesn't use the same type of findings as we do in the States. It's very possible it is vintage, but it would be difficult to say from when. The closure certainly has a patina which leads me to think it is vintage, just not sure from when.

20. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I think you are right to be a bit skeptical.

Though its hard to tell for sure, this looks very similar to baskets, boxes etc...being sold today in many import stores.