1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage label dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Flan2, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Flan2

Flan2 Registered Guest

Can you clarify please the dates of two similar labels on vintage clothing. I have vintage sports jackets. All have cream coloured labels. Some have on the right hand side words beginning APPLIED IN ACCORDANCE WITH REGULATIONS APPROVED BY THE BOARD OF TRADE others with GRANTED BY THE BOARD OF TRADE TO THE HARRIS TWEED ASSOCIATION LTD. The first has dark brown writing not the red of the 1960s labels, the second almost black writing. I thought that the brownish labels were from the 1930s/40s but someone identified an overcoat dated in the 1970s with the same label as the first type of mine. Help would be much appreciated.

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

We tend to be visual people, can you show us the labels. Are you trying to date your jackets, or simply establish a timeline for the labels? Either way it'll help if you show the jackets along with labels. Labels alone can't usually date a garment.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Yes, photos would be helpful.

I have a hard time dating Harris Tweed pieces because their designs are so classic and timeless.