1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Lanvin Label Help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alexandra Maree, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Alexandra Maree

Alexandra Maree Registered Guest

Greetings! I am so glad I found this forum as I am hoping someone can help me date this Lanvin wrap dress based on the label. I have tried an exhaustive google search and often times have ended up becoming more confused than when I started.

I purchased this wrap dress from a vintage textile show years ago and the gal who sold it to me knew nothing as she was just watching her friends stall (she sold the wrap dress to me for $25USD, which I think was a steal).

Any assistance in dating the dress would be an IMMENSE help! Also just to note, there are some numbers on the edge of the tag that I believe are 04842. I am not entirely certain because the numbers are on the fold of the tag and I really don't want to fiddle with it too much.

Thanks again in advance!! IMG_6598.JPG IMG_6601.JPG IMG_6599.JPG

2. Alexandra Maree

Sorry for the sideways pics! When I took them they were straight but somehow ended up on their side when I uploaded them

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Lovely print! Can you tell us more about the fastenings? does it have elastic at the waist, a belt etc.? Is that the only label present?

4. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

Welcome to the VFG forums Alexandra! Looking at the label, it looks like one shown in our label resources. You can view this under the resource area here. I was trying to get a better look at the label because it looks like it may have been restitched back onto the dress or maybe it is the angle that is giving me this impression. Is it possible to get a better photo of the label?

5. Alexandra Maree

I LOVE the print which is what caught my eye when I saw it. There is no elastic at the waist but there are belt loops so I suspect there was a belt at some point (I just didn't end up with it . I the dress closes with hook and eye closures and have been moved to make the dress smaller. Unfortunately there aren't any other tags.

6. Alexandra Maree

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! I took more photos of the label and I hope these are clearer than the others. The label has been restitched at the top but the bottom corners appear untouched . Thanks for the help and I will be sure to check out the link :) IMG_6606.JPG IMG_6609.JPG IMG_6610.JPG IMG_6611.JPG

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It would be helpful to see photos of the dress posed on a form or model. From the bottom border print detailing which appears to be either of Indian or African design influence, I would hazard a guess at it being from the 1970s.

You have stated it is a wraparound, is there elastic at the waistline?

Also, what fabric is it made from?

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe dot border print and blouson shirtdress style looks very late 70s- early 80s to me.