1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Lingerie/ Nightgowns in Movies?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by vintagepretties, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Total mind block here..i had a customer ask of any old movies with glamorous nightgowns/ peignoirs.. the floatly fabulous ones, not sleezy / trashy.

of course all i could think of this morning was Green Acres with Zsa Zsa in her fabulous Lucie Ann's.. but that doesnt count. And i wasnt sure the dvd's of that show are available in the UK. besides.. it was so horribly corny..

and Cat on a hot tin roof with Elizabeth Taylor in those great slips, but for the life of me i cant think of any movies.

Anyone think of any off hand?

thanks so very much!
    yvonne

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Dinner at Eight - Jean Harlow lounges around in some incredible stuff.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Or The Women - one of the earlier scenes is at a fashion salon where Joan Crawford is buying insanely expensive lingerie and charging it to Norma Shearer's husband who is in the dressing room across the hall looking at more demure underthings.

4. missproper

missproper Alumni

Carole Landis in "Turnabout". I wouldn't say it's the best movie, but it's got some great clothes.

[​IMG]

5. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Can't think of a thing but I want to be Carole Landis in that peignoir please. Now. Please.

Ang

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I'll second Ang's desire for being Carole Landis in that drop-dead gorgeous peignoir set!

I seem to recall Barbara Stanwyck floating around in lovely lingerie in some movie, but can't remember which one....

7. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

I'm fairly certain there are some scenes in Some Like It Hot where Marilyn comes over to the "girls" room next door in her scanty night things to tell all about her date with the millionaire.

8. Wow, you guys are GREAT! will send her these..

and omg on the Carol Landis! That certainly isnt your off the rack Vanity Fair!

thanks bunches!
    yvonne

9. Can I add Grace Kelly in Rear Window? She wears this incredibly glamourous outfit to stay the night with Jimmy Stewart. That's the outfit I want :)

Actually her whole wardrobe for that film is pretty amazing.

Nicole

10. missproper

missproper Alumni

Ooh, my boyfriend just reminded me of Karen Morley in the 1932 version of "Scarface"

[​IMG]

11. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

This is just a tantalizing glimpse, but there's an extraordinary scene in "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day," of a fabulous 1930s fashion show of lingerie in an exclusive ladies' salon:

[​IMG]

It was made in 2008 but set in 1939, and the fashion show was the highlight for me. My Lord, the corsets! I always stay to read the credits at the movies, and this was the only film for which I saw a credit for the corsetierre!

MC

12. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I love the Thin Man movies. Myrna Loy's Nora always seems to be running around in her gorgeous gowns and robes!

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Rita Hayworth wore a lot of beautiful lingerie in her films.

14. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Mae West had some stunning lingerie, and I think most of her movies had at least one scene in her boudoir!

15. cruise12

cruise12 Registered Guest

corsets

:saint:

hi everyone i think corsets look just great for periodic movies its a ancient lingerie which is still look sexy and erotic today also .............. and i love the corsets worn by Elizabeth in pirates of the Caribbean.........

chow

16. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Slips on Liz in both Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Butterfield 8 (which ended up inspiring a lingerie/loungewear label)

Ang