1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Marshall Fields Night Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Peggy L, May 10, 2022.

1. Peggy L

Peggy L Registered Guest

Hi all, so I picked up this vintage (according to this board early 70s?) Marshall Fields night dress from a consignment store last week.
    I reached out to someone who sells that brand on Etsy a lot to see if she was interested in purchasing it and she is but she asked me how much I wanted for it and I literally have no idea how much it is worth. Her other Claire & Sandra by Lucie Ann garments are a couple of hundred bucks although none of them ahave the distinction of the Marshall fields tag. I’m just wondering what a fair price would look like? Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Peggy,

Per our forum rules, we don't valuate items, but I can suggest you check what items that are similar go for on eBay by searching finished auctions. You can also search on https://gem.app/ for similar items and the asking prices. There's never a really set amount that things are worth, and their value depends partly on who is selling the item, among many things.

For more about pricing in general, you might scan this article: https://vintagefashionguild.org/blog/how-vintage-clothing-is-priced/

Retro Ruth and Peggy L like this.
  3. Peggy L

Peggy L Registered Guest

Oops! Thank you so much for the information! :)

denisebrain likes this.
  4. IMHO, the Marshall Fields tag does not add to value. The "good" (and collectable) name is Lucie Ann.

THIS one appears somewhat similar to yours and is currently listed on eBay for $129.99. Keep in mind that that is an asking price, not a selling price.

THIS one, also similar but in pink, recently sold for $39.99.

Size matters. The larger sizes generally sell faster/better than the tiny sizes.
    The colored/patterned ones seem to sell better than the black ones.
    The robe/nightgown sets sell better than either piece on its own.

And when selling to a dealer, that dealer will naturally want to anticipate a nice profit margin when purchasing an item for resale.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  5. Peggy L

Peggy L Registered Guest

Thank you so so much!!

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.