1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Military or Gov’t Jacket?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by andrea s., Feb 8, 2020.

1. andrea s.

andrea s. Registered Guest

I’ve spent hours researching this jacket to no avail. Can anybody help me identify it? It is made of a military green canvas material, with hand stitched fur lining. The sleeves are lined with a silky quilted fabric. There are no tags or labels anywhere on it, other than a square paper tag that was sewn into the inside hem, behind the lining. No buttons or fasteners other than the d-ring straps across the front. Any kind of information at all that leads me in the right direction would be helpful. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. andrea s.

andrea s. Registered Guest

Thank you, that does help. But it smells so old...you know, that dank musty “antique store” smell...and the lining is stitched into the jacket by hand..and the d-rings are all tarnished...I don’t know. Even more than the age, I’m wondering if this is some type of military jacket?

Attached Files:

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Military jackets are pretty much always labeled as such.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes, good point. Because of the way they are used and given out to personnel, they often have quite detailed labels, including sizes. Unless there are signs labels have been removed, this is unlikely to be military.

It's a very interesting jacket. It's clearly functional outdoor wear for cold weather. Perhaps meant for some cold weather activity like fishing?

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I am thinking along Ruth's lines. More functional winter sporting wear rather than military. That tag looks like standard manufacturer's tag, rather than a military one. I checked in my 1942 US Army Officers Guide, and the winter uniforms do not look like this. So we can at least eliminate WW2 era.