1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage (?) petticoat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 196t's, Nov 16, 2018.

1. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Good morning/afternoon/night,

I went to my regular thrift shop today and found this petticoat and a tank top (that I'll soon be posting). The question: is it vintage? I have no experience whatsoever with petticoats but my gut said it was too good to pass on it. Any help is welcome. I used the flash so you could get a better view of the fabric and lace (sorry about the other images, it is a bit windy now).

2018-11-16 15.46.24.jpg 2018-11-16 15.46.37.jpg 2018-11-16 15.46.51.jpg 2018-11-16 15.47.18.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

I used the flash so you could get a better view of the fabric and lace (sorry about the other images, it is a bit windy now).

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

How long is it. I saw a lot of these in the 1960's. Sometimes the elastic is old and stretched out.
    Are there any labels?
    Marian

3. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

It is roughly 21 inches long. The elastic seems fine, it only hangs a little loose on the mannequin because of its size. There aren't any labels.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  4. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Bringing this up... Any ideas?

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I still have several of these in various lengths. We/I refer to them as half slips. I wore them in the '90's and also more recently under unlined skirts or dresses. I am not sure how old yours is. Have you checked the side seams to be sure there is no tag?

6. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Hi Linn! Good to hear from you again. Yes, I have checked and found no tag, unfortunately.

7. Half slips can be hard to date when there are no labels since they are still sold/used today and really don't look much different. The waist band may hold further clues. Is the elastic exposed or encased? If encased, is it sewn through? (Sorry, I can't see this well in your photos.) Is there a bit of fabric that covers the join area ("pillow tab")?
    All that said, I think it looks like the elastic is covered and sewn through, which is generally later rather than earlier. And those two lace-edged, bow embellished front slits make me think 1990s somehow. But that's just a guess on my part. :)

Pillow tab (photo by Better Dresses Vintage, found on the internet):
    [​IMG]

8. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Hi Donna! Thanks for answering.
    It is encased and sewn through. There is no pillow tab.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.