1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Rain Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintagelove, Oct 19, 2021.

1. vintagelove

vintagelove Registered Guest

Hi all! This is my first post. I recently purchased a vintage Betmar gold rain coat labled, Betmar Made In Republic of China, and 100% Vinyly, yes Vinyly. ‍♀️Any ideas on this? I have been researching for a couple of hours now to no avail. Thank's so very much!

Attached Files:

2. vintagelove

I meant Vinly...lol

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

4. vintagelove

Thank you! That's what I figured, as odd as it is. I'm pretty sure that it's a 1960s coat.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It cannot be from the 1960s, as we were not doing any trade at all with (Red) China in the 1960s. So it has to be early to late 1970s. I am leaning to late 70s on this one. Is the collar a funnel neck as you show it, or did you turn it up?

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I agree with Barbara. It isn't from the 60s.
    You can read here about some country of origin dating tips. Here is a relevant excerpt:

"Also in the 1970s, trade with mainland China began to resume. There had been extensive trade with China from colonial times. Early Chinese imports are unmarked or marked with Chinese characters. From 1891 until 1949 their production was marked "made in China." but, because of domestic instability in China (the Boxer Rebellion, the Republican Revolution, regional Warlords, Civil War, Japanese aggression, etc.), there was relatively little trade with that country during that period. From 1949 to the mid 1970s there were no trade relations with mainland China. The island of Taiwan, however, became a major source for gee-gaws during the 1960s until it also moved on to pricier electronic items. Taiwanese production from this era is marked "made in Republic of China" or "made in China (R.O.C.)" to distinguish from "Red" China. In the mid 70s, trade gradually resumed with the mainland and their production is marked "Made in the People's Republic of China." In 1978, the United States fully normalized relations with mainland China and their production again became "made in China" while R.O.C. production came to be labeled "made in Taiwan."

Vinclothes likes this.
  7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

It's Blade Runner all over.