1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Royal Navy Duffle Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by KingRichard, Feb 18, 2022.

1. KingRichard

KingRichard Registered Guest

Hi, New to the forum and new also to vintage clothing. Just purchased a vintage British Royal Navy duffle coat. It’s in decent condition but the camel hair wool has faded a bit ( I think it’s camel, but I’m not 100% certain). Is there any way to safely restore its color? Also, what’s the best way to clean the coat, regular dry cleaning? Greatly appreciate any tips you guys might have! Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Would you please share photos of your coat? That will help us assist you.

KingRichard likes this.
  3. KingRichard

Thanks very much!
    Here are a few photos. It's a bit hard to see the fading and I haven't yet received the coat, which I bought a few days ago on ebay. But maybe you can get a general idea of its fabric and its condition.

[​IMG]e

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    .[/QUOTE

Attached Files:

4. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Fabulous old RN duffel coat - quite a find!

Geek fact - the ancient predecessor of present day duffel coats, in their earliest form, were made as far back as the late Iron Age in Britain. Roman soldiers serving in Britain keenly bought them from the local British tribes because they kept the cold out and the body dry. Those 'proto-duffel' coats were the most popular gift that Roman troops took home with them when returning to other parts of the empire. Their toggle fastenings predate buttons and are a throwback to those times. /end of geek fact :)

bear.jpg

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. KingRichard

Thanks and wow, I had no idea its origins stretched so far back! Well, this guy was made in the 50s - I'm pretty sure. :)

NylonNostalgia likes this.
  6. NylonNostalgia

lol - there's a hot chance it is 1950s rather than AD50. But, if it does turn out to be Iron Age then you've just sold it . . . . to me!

I love my red duffle coat. Warm as toast, no matter what the weather. Coupled with my hat and boots I could pass for Paddington!

Congrats on a great find :)

GemGem likes this.
  7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Fascinating about the history Emma!

Thank you for showing the photos @KingRichard I would definitely dry clean this coat.

8. KingRichard

Thanks Emma and Maggie,
    Do either of you know much about restoring faded color? Maybe it’s not really possible, but thought I’d ask around! :)
    Kindest,
    /Jon

9. NylonNostalgia

On the duffle coat? You can't replace that which has faded, I'm afraid - but surely it is the fade that is part of it's charm? If it were mine, I'd leave the colour as it is. As Maggie said, dry clean it if you will, but be careful not to ruin it in the meantime.

I'd have this handsome chap scrubbed and sent to my tent without hesitation...
    gunnavgpduffel-main1b.jpg

UK stamp...
    f55250bc189f7db9f49bb27001a682b3.jpg

WW1 RN duffle coats...
    military-personnel-duffle-coat.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  10. KingRichard

Too funny! Understood and thanks again :)

11. KingRichard

Thanks to you both for your advice. The coat arrived and I think it's great! It's all wool and about as thick as a horse blanket, or maybe a welcome mat. It will certainly break the Baltic Sea wind and I'd bet it could stop a .22! It's at the cleaners now!!!

12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oohhh great images! And geek fact! Thanks for sharing