1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Scarf Identification help please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lauren Z, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Lauren Z

Lauren Z Registered Guest

I purchased several scarves at a vintage clothing estate sale. I'm having trouble identifying them in order to discern their value. They're both just lovely! Both have hand rolled hems. The black and white feels like silk. The ballerina one - not sure. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Attached Files:

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Love love love the ballerina scarf.

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Ballerina scarf is a popular 1940s-50s theme. Just google Ballerina scarf for comps. Yours looks 50s.

The carriage scarf... that's also a popular and, in some cases, collectible scarf. I would dig into the research on that. There was an Hermes series (a different one every year) and then there are the carriage scarves that are influence by but not actual Hermes. Still, they are collectible just valued very differently. Start your research with Vintage Carriage scarf.

Hope this info helps!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  4. Lauren Z

Thank you - believe me . . . I googled every possible variation on both scarves and came up empty! But after seeing your post I added "hermes" and see scarves 'similar' to mine but they don't have the words on them. They also come up when I put in Hermes Ex Libre. But again, no French words on them. I know very little about scarves but from what I read, I thought a true Hermes would have the word somewhere on the scarf? No? I'll keep looking though and while I had planned to resell them, I'll wait! (I'm reselling to save money for my daughter's wedding lol!) The ballerina scarf is a total 'no show' no matter what I google. Lots and lots of ballerina scarves, just not that one. It's so beautiful though I may have a hard time parting with it no matter what its value!

Attached Files:

5. Lauren Z

What do you think about this one?? Mine is black and white of course but this IS the scarf.

Attached Files:

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi! I don't recall the ballerina scarves being from a particular designer just the bodies and 'drawing' being similar to yours. They aren't super duper expensive but there's a strong niche audience collecting them.

The carriage scarves... I just don't have all my previous research handy but they aren't all Hermes though they are often attributable to Pittner or influenced by (he's the artist). As I understand it, there will be an Hermes stamp on the scarf but that's where you would need to get someone to authenticate the scarf and maybe narrow down some dates. I believe - and don't quote me - there were some black and white Hermes scarves in the 30s/40s.

Hermes or note, I'm guessing yours is 40s.

You could see if there's more helpful info on purse blog. They used to have a wealth of info pertaining to Hermes, bags and scarves. Good luck!

7. On the carriage scarf, the words that are shown in your photo are "Caleche de _____? I couldn't make out the last one and are there others as it appears there are. If so, what are the other words? Just wondering if that would help in identifying it? Are the hems hand sewn on the carriage scarf and are they rolled toward the front? "Caleche" is a type of two wheeled hooded carriage and Hermes did use that word on their scarves. It would be nice to see full photos of both of the scarves. Am I correct that neither scarf have tags attached? They are both lovely scarves. I love the Ballerina scarf and agree with late 40s early 50s and 50s for the carriage scarf.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022