1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Sellers: your recommendations please.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jasmin Key, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Jasmin Key

Jasmin Key Registered Guest

I'm looking for a new clothes steamer and would really appreciate recommendations on brand/models.

Many thanks.

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I love my Jiffy. Had it for years now.

CatsLikeUs and Jasmin Key like this.
  3. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Yup, I love my Jiffy, too, I have one of the older heavy duty pro models with a glass tank. I got it used, it works perfectly every time, has lots of power.

Jasmin Key likes this.
  4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I love my Jiffy. I spent the extra $ and got a premium metal head with a wooden sleeve to protect the hand while steaming. I have had no problems with it in 3 years (knock on wood!)

Jasmin Key likes this.
  5. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

N-thing Jiffy. Years ago I bought a cheap steamer and it died within months. My Jiffy has lasted me for almost a decade (knocking on wood with Carla).

Jasmin Key likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Jiffy here as well - the pro model which has a metal tank reservoir.

Jasmin Key likes this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't find anything here (Switzerland) so ordered a Fridja from the UK in the end. The price and delivery costs were reasonable and the reviews looked ok. I'm happy with for what I use it for. I don't sell a lot of clothes and use it more for my own vintage clothes and the for stuff I sell, and for that it works ok for me.

Pinkcoke and Jasmin Key like this.
  8. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

I love my Jiffy too! I also like my handheld Shark steamer.

Jasmin Key likes this.
  9. Jasmin Key

Ah, you lovely peeps are fantastic. Thank you for the recommendations! xxx

10. susanandco

susanandco Registered Guest

I kept burning my hands so I finally bought a pair of special gloves to wear while steaming. I went to the hardware store and found them. They are treated to be heat resistant. Much safer now. I did a Google search just now and find you can get some at a Beauty supply place by mail order.

Jasmin Key and Retro Ruth like this.
  11. Jasmin Key

Thanks for the tip on the gloves!

12. susanandco

susanandco Registered Guest

13. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Thanks for asking that question, Jasmin!
    Great information! :)

Jasmin Key likes this.
  14. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Registered Guest

Hi - I posted a question like this but it seems to have been deleted. I'm an avid collector of vintage clothes and read that steaming was the best way to get the creases out after a wash as it is kinder to the fabrics. Some of my clothes are looking a bit fragile so it seemed a good idea - but what do others think? I saw this article that gave me the idea - Link removed by admin - please read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2021
  15. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

That is because the link you are posting contains Trojan Mal-Ware.

Edit, See This.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021