1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage sew on rhinestones

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by kittenteethvintage, Apr 28, 2022.

1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

This is so frustrating, lol. I have a nice dress with rhinestone details around the neckline and sleeves but there are maybe a dozen that are missing. I could sell as is, but it is in perfect condition otherwise and I want to fix this.

Issue- I cannot find these old type of sew on rhinestones ANYWHERE. I searched variations on prong set, sew on, rhinestones, vintage, 4 way, etc etc and no luck. Can someone direct me to where I can find some of these, or what they are called? If you can't see clearly in the pic, they have like a 4 way channel under the setting base to easily sew on. They are appx 4-5mm, glass I believe.

IMG_20220427_185811.jpg IMG_20220427_185839.jpg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I always refer to these as montees. Try googling that and looks like they are out there, not sure about the color and size you need.

lkranieri and kittenteethvintage like this.
  3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Try Matthew Ribberach (sp,?) at mrstones.com

I Googled his website and then searched for montees but you can probably ask him if these don't work:

https://www.mrstones.com/search?q=montees

I also tried Fire Mountain Gems and searched for sew on rhinestones:

https://www.firemountaingems.com/search?keywords=sew.+on+rhinestones

It's been ages since I bought replacement rhinestones (I have a TON - but no sew-ons.). I used to buy from Matthew a lot and also from someone whose name is escaping me. Her sister does repairs. I will try to think of their names.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Try this - I had to search through some old emails. Her name is Stephanie Brawner - she sells vintage rhinestones and her sister Melissa does repairs. This is a link to the vintage stones:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/prettysnazzysupplies

I didn't look to see if she has what you are looking for, but she may know a source if she does not.

5. kittenteethvintage

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out!

6. kittenteethvintage

Thanks for their name- searching "montees" brought them right up!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

I have plenty, and I'd be happy to share. :)

They are the tiny ones with the criss-cross backs, right? How many do you need?

montee rhinestones 1.jpg

montee rhinestones 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  8. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

How kind, Amy! What a nice group.

For gems resources, I use Jans Jewelry Supply (I even have her on my bookmarks toolbar!). I, too, have used Matthew Ribarich in the past. All good.

9. kittenteethvintage

That would be awesome, Amy. Thanks so much! However, I just did a full count of missing rhinestones and between the neckline and sleeves there's a total of 37 missing... If you have that many you can spare that would be amazing, but totally understood if that's too many. They're clear 5mm with the criss cross backs.

Like I said, no worries if that's too many. Let me know!

10. vivavintageclothing

Let me measure what I have, to make sure they are the correct size. I have enough, but I don't want to send you the wrong size. :)

11. vivavintageclothing

12. kittenteethvintage

That does look a little too small, maybe 3.5 to 4mm? I measured mine a few times just to make sure I was asking for the right size and mine are definitely between 4.5 to 5mm (pretty sure is 5).

Thanks anyway though!

vivavintageclothing likes this.
  13. Vintagebob

Vintagebob Registered Guest

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding the sew-on rhinestones you need. Here are a few suggestions that might help you find what you're looking for:

Try searching for "point back rhinestones" or "sew-on point back rhinestones." These are the types of rhinestones that have channels underneath for sewing.

Check out online stores that specialize in rhinestones and embellishments, such as Rhinestone Guy, Dreamtime Creations, or Fire Mountain Gems. They may have a wider selection and be able to help you find the exact type of rhinestone you need.

Look for vintage or antique rhinestones on Etsy or eBay. Some sellers specialize in vintage jewelry supplies and may have what you're looking for.

Consider replacing all of the rhinestones with a similar but more readily available type. If you can't find the exact type of rhinestone you need, you may be able to find something similar that would still look good on your dress.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your search.

Distantdetails and denisebrain like this.
  14. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

@denisebrain , can we put some of these resources in your list of helpful resources (it's one of my favorite member benefits--that list). Thanks.

denisebrain likes this.
  15. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes ma'am! Great idea.

Distantdetails likes this.