1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage shopping in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I spent the last weekend - Friday to Monday - in Edinburgh with my parents. As we have only seasonal direct flights from here, we decided to do it now.
    Anyway, we had pretty good weather, Edinburgh is beautiful, there's lots of history and interesting things to see - 4 days was pretty good for that, and there's great pubs too. Very recommendable!
    We had also checked online for vintage shops before we left. In the end, we didn't make it to one street in New Town that seemed to have several shops, but we did make it to some nearer to Old Town. The one that's advertised everywhere is Armstrong on Grassmarket - one of the touristiest spots in the city... We had one look in and left again. A huge shop, people were queueing to try things on. It just advertised itself a bit too loudly and looking at how many people were in there - I wouldn't want to know how much of their stuff gets damaged just from being handled and tried on by so many people.
    However, on Monday we walked along West Port, which follows after Grassmarket if you come from Old Town, and there we found several lovely little vintage shops (like Carnivàle and Herman Brown - the latter has an amazing selection of vintage costume jewelry!), that were well-stocked, well-presented and not so crazy busy. Really great vintage shopping, and I thought that their prices were very fair as well. There's also a handicraft/souvenir market in an old church on Royal Mile, where one stand had lovely vintage brooches.

And here's what I bought:
    edinburgh1.jpg edinburgh2.jpg
    This amazing 1940s silk dress - that print! It's not perfect, there are some buttons missing and some small holes at the back, but it does fit and is otherwise sound. Not quite for everyday wear, but I will wear it once I've got it repaired and cleaned.

edinburgh3.jpg
    And some more lovely, sparkly brooches!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Sounds like a lovely little holiday! Love that dress, Karin! Looking forward to seeing a pic of you in it!

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Agree, your holiday sounds wonderful! thanks for sharing with us, I live vicariously through your travels! :)

and also agree...looking forward to seeing you in that adorable dress!

5. Thanks so much for sharing your shopping adventures in Edinburgh and I'll bet the pubs were great fun, too! Food is usually fairly good in the pubs. I have always wanted to visit Edinburgh and work on Fridays with a swell Scottish girl who married an American serviceman and now lives in Williamsburg. She has assured me that I would love Edinburgh and your visit tends to reaffirm that. I love your purchases and I think we will need to see you in that wonderful print dress when you have it repaired and cleaned!

nsweezie likes this.