1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage St. John sweater??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintagecouture863, Jan 4, 2009.

1. vintagecouture863

vintagecouture863 Registered Guest

So here are some photos of the sweater. It looks and feels just like Santana knit, I even compared it to some other Santana Knit pieces that I already own and it is identical! The only thing that has me wondering is the label, I have never seen it before. Has anyone ever seen this label for St. John??? THANKS!!

[​IMG]

URL=http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc09710ay1.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

2. atticville

atticville Alumni

I've seen the label, just can't put the sweater/label validity to it? doesn't make reason to me.
    :help:I'm sure someone can ring in with an answer! ps, sweater looks high end 80's.(early)

3. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

Interesting I've never seen that one before either. The real early ones I have have found have the Marie Gray on them.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have a "lot" of St. John. The sweater label looks correct to me except for the ® mark which I have never seen. Most of my tops have the size attached to the label. Most of the tops run P, S, M, L, etc. or are sized 2, 4, 6, etc. If I remember correctly this sweater is size 44.

Since the company is still in business, maybe you could contact them and ask about it. Perhaps there was a "European" line at one point.

I have one vintage sweater/jacket with the first label found in the VFG label resource list. I purchased it at Show in SF a year or so ago and was delighted to discover that it's a '60's piece.

Linn

5. Linn

I took out my vintage St. John sweater (jacket) and much to my surprise found that it , too, has the ® mark, so I would say that the label on the navy sweater is most likely correct.

Here is a photo of me taken today modelling the sweater and the label. According to the VFG label resource list, this is the earliest label. There are no shoulder pads and no size label. As you can see, it reads "dry clean only". This is not a Santana knit - it's heavier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linn

6. vintagecouture863

vintagecouture863 Registered Guest

Wow! Linn, I love your sweater/jacket, that is beautiful!!

Thanks so much for everyone's help you guys have been great!!

7. atticville

atticville Alumni

Linn, Stop by in Mississippi & Model for The Attic-
    You are a Fabu Model!Yawawowza!!
    What do yall think this Black Sweater Set is as far as label dating?80's?

8. Linn

Thanks, KK!

I bought the sweater at a show in SF last year. I looked at the VFG resource label list when the question was raised about the navy sweater and the label in my piece - without the ® is the earliest one - from the '60's. I don't think my sweater is that old, however, all my other St. John sweaters and jackets have shoulder pads - this one does not. This is not Santana knit, it's heavier. There's braided knit trim aroung the collar and down the front. I'm not sure how well it shows in this photo:

[​IMG]

It is in very good condition. I'm modeling it with a St. John Basic skirt that I bought around 2001. I think if the sweater is from the '80's it would have big shoulder pads so I think it is earlier. Any other thoughts on dating it?

Linn