1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage to Modern Size Conversion

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Olivia Smith, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Olivia Smith

Olivia Smith Registered Guest

Hey everyone!

I've been having some difficulty figuring out vintage to modern day size conversions based on measurements alone. I've seen a few charts out there but was wondering if ya'll had any other tips or resources. I know it varies from year to year. For instance, this Dior Blazer from 1974 is listed on the tag as a size 18. I've tried on a lot of vintage dresses in sizes ranging from 6-12 and they all fit me and I'm a modern size 2. I have an online store and worry about getting the sizes wrong. Any help appreciated!

Olivia

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Olivia, I don't honestly think there is any one great vintage to modern size chart out there. That is why measurements are so important.
    Between the change in sizing with the decades, the different makers and today's modern sizing is a bit insane...one company is a 0 and the other may just be a small or size 4.

I wish there was something standardized but it just isn't.

Maybe someone else here will have a good suggestion for you.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Mary Jane is exactly right. There is no easy conversion. In general, vintage tends to run small, mostly because of progressive vanity sizing on the part of clothing designers and makers.

As a seller, if a vintage garment has a readable size tag, I report it, but also say something along the lines of "Labeled size __, but please consider the measurements" immediately followed by pertinent numbers. I also have a section in my policies about how I measure, and reminding shoppers that the garment measurements are not the same as the measurements of the body that can wear the garment. Most vintage clothing does not have spandex built into the fabric as modern garments do, as allowing for ease is really important.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

One suggestion is to measure a garment you own that has the fit you want and then compare that to the measurements given of the item you are considering.