1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Wedding Photos

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, May 25, 2009.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

An online wedding photographer includes a COLLECTION
    of interesting vintage wedding photos - some seen here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

WOW - the green, yellow, blue, and pink bridesmaids are something...

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Cool photos, Amanda! Oh, and the "rainbow" wedding is a hoot! I remember they were still doing those in the 70s when I got married the first time... But that one is over the top!

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yes, i attended one with the groomsmen in MATCHING pastel tuxedos and ruffled shirts, too!! :lol:

i like that second photo ~

5. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Could that rainbow wedding be a black & white photo that's been tinted? I love it!

6. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Yes, that is a hand tinted b/w photo. The bridesmaids would be wearing white.

7. The first wedding must have cost a fortune with 12 bride's maids. Love the second picture and the last one is a hoot.

8. amandainvermont

I thought the last one was tinted too - but is it possible that those dresses did have hues of those colors? It's hard to imagine the bridesmaids all in white dresses almost like the bride's. Of course the veil/head dresses are different. And in that first picture the many bridesmaids are all wearing white (?) dresses too.

9. MyVintageCocktail

Yes, the photo must be tinted, but isn't it possible that this was indeed a rainbow wedding? Though the ones I remember had pastel colors for the maids' dresses, not bright ones. Why would they tint a photo those colors if they weren't meant to approximate the colors worn at the wedding?

10. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

This is mine... well my Grammar and Grandad about 1922/23

[​IMG]

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Fantastic pics!

Well I saw an old wedding photo once that had been hand painted to give the bride a full skirt when she had been wearing a narrow one, so they did all kinds of things to photos, to make the wedding seem as grand as possible! Realism wasn't the guiding principle.

12. MyVintageCocktail

LOL! Well, unfortunately, realism still isn't the guiding principle behind weddings... There is much ado about the wedding, with little thought of the marriage to follow. IMHFDO (in my humble fuddy-duddy opinion), couples would be far better off planning for a grand marriage instead of a grand wedding.... Oh, well, enough philosophy. Weddings are fun but are only a prelude to a relationship rather than and end in and of themselves.

13. Retro Ruth

Ha! Of course I only meant towards the photos, but I like your philosophy! Very true...

14. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i thought i had read somewhere that pastel palette weddings did actually happen, although i don't remember what era it was.

and yes, it definetly looks hand-tinted.

btw, as a former bridal consultant a looooong time ago, i also heard that it was considered rude to wear white to a wedding as the bride is supposed to be the star of the day, and the only one "allowed" to wear white, unless, of course the groom wore white formalwear, as well. her bridesmaids/attendants are secondary, and should not wear white.

15. Retro Ruth

Surprisingly though, the tradition of the bride wearing white isn't as old as you'd think. It was popularised by Queen Victoria with her wedding in 1840. Not that white wasn't worn before, but it certainly wasn't the only option.

16. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Paul, your grandparents wedding photo is lovely.

17. amandainvermont

Yes, Paul's grandparents' photo is lovely. As someone who is occasionally asked to do bouquets for weddings I am always amazed at the large bouquets the brides held in the 20's.

18. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Thank you, the bouquet is a little over the top in my view I also like the flowers around the vail, I wonder if they were real or not.