1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vogue couterie design dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by IBFS Vintage, Nov 26, 2019.

1. IBFS Vintage

IBFS Vintage Registered Guest

Hello all! I found a vintage dress in a thrift store a few years back that I didn’t quite understand when I first took it off the rack. It was hung wrong because apparently the employee didn’t understand it either! I rearranged it on the hanger and instantly fell in love with the dress. It is an asymmetric design with a large pocket going from waist to top of thigh and across more than 1/2 of the front. Large collar and the bodice puffs out. The fabric is obviously wool. The label says Vogue Couturier Design. I searched the Internet for this dress or others by this brand to no avail. Finally I discovered that the brand is a brand of patterns. Additionally I discovered that the company would send labels to be applied to the finished article of clothing. I searched the label and found that I have the earliest one; late 40s to early 50s! Now I am trying to figure out the value of the dress. I see patterns priced up to $80. Is there anyone who can help? I’m going to upload some pics. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Lovely dress...sorry but we cannot help with pricing. Your best bet is to look around on ebay, etsy and other vintage clothing sites to see what other examples have sold for.

3. IBFS Vintage

Thank you for taking time to read my post. I have looked around a bit on those sites. I will continue to search!

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi there. We can't provide valuations (see forum rules). Your best bet is to know the era of the dress, then look at Ebay sold items for similar dresses and see what they sold for. While the original sewing patterns themselves are much prized by home sewers, as far as I know the dresses made from them are no more desirable than similar quality dresses from that period.

The labels were provided with the sewing pattern, by the store that sold the patterns - the stores occasionally had stocks of older labels which were given out after the label had stopped being produced, so the dress pattern could be later than the label, and the dress itself is a better guide to it's age. I'm finding it hard to see your dress's shape from your photos, to help date it, but someone else may have an opinion.

Some of these patterns were by a named designer, but some older ones weren't.

5. IBFS Vintage

6. IBFS Vintage

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your response! I have noted your reply about valuations. I plan to continue my search for info of this dress and will take better photos. Learning!

Retro Ruth and Racked Vintage like this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. IBFS Vintage