1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vtg brooch...stamping on back: designer? Age?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Anna pitkin, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Anna pitkin

Anna pitkin Registered Guest

Not sure if the flower like stamping on back of this brooch tells me anything about the age or who designed this. 1498481669098-1439009725.jpg 1498481884762-606103671.jpg

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The brooch looks late 1950's - early 1960's. The stamping is part of the mold and doesn't tell much about who made it.

3. Anna pitkin

Anna pitkin Registered Guest

What indicated to you that it was late 50s - early 60s?

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Anna,

The materials, style and design were all clues to dating the piece. There's a lot to learn about vintage jewelry and vintage costume jewelry. If the topic interests you, I recommend you visit your library and take out a few books on the subject. Or visit a bookstore and invest in a few basic books on the topic. I started collecting vintage costume jewelry awhile ago and have a large library that I refer to.

I presented a five-part workshop on vintage costume jewelry for the VFG in 2010. Here's a link to the part on the '50's and '60's:

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/vintage-jewelry-workshop-part-v.35721/

You will see a few late '50's pieces in the presentation that have similar elements like the glued pearls and stones. These earrings come to mind:

Art Flower Basket  Earrings.jpg

You may want to read this section first, and then go back and read through it from the beginning.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017