1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Alexander Julian Menswear

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Flaneur, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Registered Guest

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi, all:

As the author of the designer Alexander Julian's label & bio page here at VFG, you might imagine that I also collect AJ menswear.

Indeed, I do.

I've attached pics of the AJ labels of greatest interest to this post.

My efforts heretofore at locating pieces from these product lines have been, I'm sorry to say, fairly unproductive--especially given the amount of energy invested.

Can any of you good folks lend a hand, in terms of alternate strategies for me to use in uncovering those caches of dead stock Julian gems?

Best regards,

Flaneur

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

When I am looking for something in particular I set up a Google alert:

https://www.google.com/alerts

and when that item is put out on the Internet, whether just a mention of it, or for sale, for instance, it sends me an e-mail with a link to that reference. You can edit the alert to let you know about a hit "As it happens" or once a day, or whatever you prefer.

joules and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  3. joules

joules VFG Member

That is a super helpful tip, about the Google alerts. Thank you!

Flaneur, your Alexander Julian Resource entry is totally thorough. Great information! Maybe you could post those additional label shots, with their date ranges, to be added in on the bio page?

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Registered Guest

Ikranieri:

You mean like this?

image.jpg

;-)

Yes, I've had a Google Search alert in place for over 5 years--I'm sorry to say it's *never* led me to something I didn't already either know about or write myself!

Sure wish Missoni or Jhane Barnes or Pucci were my *thing*, as while these designers' pieces can be had for sometimes princely sums, at least they *can* be had, quite unlike my circumstance.

As to updating VFG with the additional better AJ labels: yes, I probably should, but I've lost touch with whomever's running the site these days...

Flaneur

5. joules

joules VFG Member

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Registered Guest

Ikranieri:

The .jpg I posted was the Google Alert email in my inbox. alerting me to my own VFG post that started this thread.

Flaneur

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I realized that after my post...

8. Flaneur

Flaneur Registered Guest

9. joules

joules VFG Member

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you very much, I will definitely send you a convo should I run across something with the Alexander Julian label.

11. joules

joules VFG Member

You're entirely welcome! I will be on the lookout too. I usually see mostly the Colours labels, but will be sure to observe for all others.

I would guess you have an ebay watch set up, right?
    And, I'd recommend keeping an eye on Etsy too.

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Registered Guest

Polly's & Joules:

Many thanks for offering to keep an eye out for better AJ pieces--only the earliest "Colours" stuff is really interesting and comparable to (if, by design, derivative of) his "Couture" work.

And, yes, Joules, Ebay & Etsy searches are locked and loaded.

Best,

Flaneur

13. joules

joules VFG Member

Anytime, you're welcome!
    For sure, I follow what you're saying, about Colours and relative desirability.

14. thechef

thechef Registered Guest

removed by admin, please read forum rules

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014