1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: long evening or formal dress in red, blue or white for Jubilee concert.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Pinkcoke, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I am struggling so much with this it's driving me mental. I have scoured the real and virtual retailers for a dress to wear to my next concert which is themed on the Queen's Jubilee, England etc. where we've been asked to wear the patriotic colours in vain. Now I turn to you; I'm perfectly prepared to make a few repairs and take a hem down if it will make the length right. 60" would be from the shoulder to the floor for me without shoes...I would like to wear some if possible! Ideal length would be about 63" Size B34" W28" H36"

If there was a choice (ah such luxuries...) I prefer a tailored bodice and flowing skirt...scoop or sweetheart necklines are perfect, sleeveless, small capped sleeves, flutter sleeves, bell sleeves with a cuff are all fine. White is last choice and only if it really doesn't look like a wedding gown.

Please do state where you would be posting from! I look forward to seeing your dresses!

2. I have a stunning silk gown in cream - you could accessorise with red and blue? You can see it here.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Nicole that dress is gorgeous! Unfortunately I can't justify spending that amount on a dress for one concert (red or blue I could wear again, but we're not likely to be asked to wear white in the near future) If I was getting married though, I'd have it in a shot. and you hemmed it! Presumably it was long enough for a big net underskirt originally?

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I may have something suitable, but I haven't had it long, so don't have it photographed, or measured, or burn tested, so bear with me. Your measurements look roughly like they might work though.

It's a full length late 1940s early 1950s dress, fitted bodice, strapless with a kind of criss-cross over piece that goes from the waist over the shoulders, so its more like short-sleeve than strapless. It has full skirt, flat at the front with a tiered bustle back type of thing. It's blue taffeta, maybe silk or rayon, but not bright blue, darkish, I think in fact it's blue shot with black (will check when I get home). So tell me if that would work, or if you only want union jack blue? and I'll get on to measuring and photographing.

It's rather wonderful actually...

And hey I'm in the UK so no issues there.

5. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

have a darling tomato red empire waist maxi with a ruched bodice and spaghetti strap halter, but i doubt 70's was what you were shooting for

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks guys for the quick response; shades of either colour would be fine.
    Ruth that dress sounds wonderful, I actually wore a Ricci Michaels dress with a similar skirt for my last concert in a teal green satin (which is unfortunately too short really, but I wore it with 50's style black babydoll heels and call it 'ballet length'!)
    Bijou actually I'm all for 70's as the style really suits me and I can pretty much wear anything from that era but your dress sounds a little too casual for the event which will be indoors, with the audience dining the same evening. Actually it depends on the material, it could be an evening dress for all I know.
    Thank you for the link Mary Jane but I think yours comes under the too informal category again. We really do only do full length.

8. Retro Ruth

Great, I'll measure up and get some photos, give me a day or two, hope that's okay. Ruth

9. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I have a strapless red formal gown with fitted bodice and full, flowing skirt. I just sold it last week, but it's too long for the customer (which she knew, but now that she found out she can't just wear it with higher heels and will have to have a seamstress hem it, she's returning it).

I'll send you a PM with the details and new photos.

10. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Nah, she's disco polyester from her head to her toes, I'm a 70's fan myself

11. Retro Ruth

Okay I've taken some quick pics of my dress (forgive me - it really needed ironing but that would have taken ages!), and examined it more thoroughly.

It's a bit big for you, at least in the bust - but you said you might be willing to alter and repair. It's actually been let out 3 inches, so it might be simple to take it in again in the same way. And it does need minor repair. I'm not really selling on line anywhere at the moment so I've created a facebook album with all the details - let me know if you can't see it, you may have to like my page first.

DSCF6497.JPG DSCF6498.JPG DSCF6504.JPG

EndlessAlley likes this.
  12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a lovely dress, Ruth! I hope this will work!

13. Retro Ruth

Isn't it wonderful? I hope it works for both of us! If not I'm going to do the repair sometime, (and do the big ironing job it needs!), and hope to do well with it somewhere.

14. Villa

Villa Registered Guest

Are you still looking? I have both blue and red gowns that may work if you would like pics.

15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Always looking for full length evening gowns, I wore the navy one I made for the first Jubilee concert in the end, (which was probably too soon to get anything) all other options needed quite a bit of alteration to fit me well. I'm doing another this weekend and next week though so yes no lack of events to supply dresses for!
    Main requirement is that the length be 60" from shoulder; feel free to pm me details and pics.

16. dhardy

dhardy Registered Guest

it could be cool for you to pin a red white and blue flower or some kind of cool pin on the shoulder too!

you may like this one or another at my etsy store! :)

Link removed by Administration. Please read forum posting rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.