1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to date and put a value to a Marshall Snelgrove evening gown (1940’s?)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Gemma Umbers, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Gemma Umbers

Gemma Umbers Registered Guest

Hello,

Is anyone able to help me with some more information and a possible value for this beautiful velvet silk lined evening coat?

It’s labeled Marshall and Snelgrove London, possibly from the 1940’s, beautiful emerald green velvet with bowed and cuffed sleeves. Excellent condition.

Attached Files:

Distantdetails and denisebrain like this.
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's a good quality label, but we would need a full length photo to help you with the date. I'd love to see more of the coat!

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm wondering if that might even be 1930s, but I'd wait for some other opinions, I'm not sure. Can you show or us tell us more about the shoulders - I can't really see them in your photo. Does it have shoulder pads?

Marshall & Snelgrove were an high-end department store.

We can't help with value, sorry.

4. Gemma Umbers

Gemma Umbers Registered Guest

No shoulder pads!
    But ballooned sleeves, coming into a buttoned cuffed wrist. The coat fastens with a single button on the collar, or naturally hangs draped. It has two slash pockets hidden in the velvet outer :)

Attached Files:

Distantdetails likes this.
  5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's really gorgeous and I'm hoping someone else will chime in on the date.