1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was this woman born in 1872 or 1897 from her age and dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Warren Taylor, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Warren Taylor

Warren Taylor Registered Guest

This woman is either my grand aunt born in 1897 or her mother born in 1872. Is it possible to determine from her apparent age, clothing and hairstyle which one is depicted in this photograph?

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

She has a lovely face. She looks to be in her 20s (could be younger or older). So I would say she would have been born in 1872. If born in 1897 the year of the photo would be at least 1917 and her clothing is much older than that period. Her clothing looks roughly very early 1900 or very late 1890s.

3. Warren Taylor

Thank you, Barbara! I may also want to consult a photography expert because the photograph does not seem to be in a modern style, which would support your assessment.

GemGem likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Is the photo fairly large, and set in an oval frame, with or without convex glass? It looks like the circa early 1900s portrait photos that were very popular, and as was common with most of them, yours appears to have been retouched with paints or pastels.

Warren Taylor likes this.
  5. Warren Taylor

Thank you again, Barbara. Yes, on both counts: obviously retouched and in an oval frame (convex glass).