1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washing a 40s Satin Dress??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Belinda Bennett, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Belinda Bennett

Belinda Bennett Registered Guest

I've come across this gorgeous 40s Dress and Overcoat with dust and a few small marks and was after suggestions on how to clean?? Also, is there any way of identifying tags such as this??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is actually a beautiful 1930s bias cut gown with jacket. I haven't chanced washing a satin gown like this, so I will wait to see what other suggest. I know you should not wash the rhinestone belt buckle.

Belinda Bennett likes this.
  3. Belinda Bennett

Belinda Bennett Registered Guest

Thank you! The belt doesn't have any stones and I was thinking of replacing it with an era appropriate buckle?

4. It is most likely silk, and I have never had any luck or success with laundering these pieces. A professional dry cleraner with vintage fabric knowledge is the way to go.
    That is an old laundry,dry cleaning tag

Belinda Bennett likes this.
  5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That looks to be the original belt buckle, so perosnally, I'd leave it alone. I have washed vintage satin, but it is rather tricky. Unless the soil is particularily bad, I'd be tempted to air it out for a while and then steam it. If it's rayon, it's more likely to hold up under drycleaning. Silk is more likely to have problems. such as shredding apart.

Belinda Bennett and Jonathan like this.