1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washing / soaking old linen with colored embroidery?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jen S, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

I have a number of old linen items I’d like to clean. In general I’ve had great luck soaking pure linens on the stovetop with Biz, then machine washing on gentle. However, I have a number of items, some family heirlooms, with colored embroidery and I’m at a loss as to how to handle them. For example I have an embroidered sampler with red and white yarns (I think it’s cotton, not silk) which is lovely but dirty. I know I can’t use Biz on silk, but what about colored cotton embroidery thread? It’s not possible to test, really. I’d be grateful for advice from any linens mavens!

EA0B04C2-8DB7-4FA2-9886-9B21E1498758.jpeg

A2882C12-6675-433D-8948-BF25E8EF223A.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Biz will fade the colours, however, you can spot clean the foxing marks (brown spots) with Biz (use a Q-tip), and then cold water soak and wash with dish-liquid (GREAT grease cutter). Patience with the brown marks is what you need.

3. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thank you. I can definitely try that for the spots. But is there anything to be done about overall dinginess? Can I use dishwashing liquid and cold water on the whole thing?

4. I use Restoration. It was made for vintage linens and quilts. It has so far (knock on wood) not faded the colors or had them run.

5. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thanks, I’m going to look for that product!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I've never tried Restoration and don't know what it is. My theory is to always start off with the mildest cleaning and work your way up. Cold water and dish soap is the mildest way to start, and should be safe on the coloured embroidery. You should probably test the dye first by wetting a cloth with hot water and pressing it onto some of the embroidery and see if there is any colour transfer. I think it should be fine though - this red dye is usually pretty safe in Western textiles - Indian reds like to run. Blues are usually the problem dye run colours.

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I advise using plain water first. If your water has a lot of minerals in it, add one (only) drop of a dish soap liquid like dawn, to soften the water a bit. An amazing amount of gunk comes out. Then proceed with other cleaning products as recommended above.
    I once researched when American embroidery threads became colorfast. I don't have that information now, but I think it was after WWI (about 1920 maybe) so mild cleaning methods should be all right. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
    Marian

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

These linens are European, from Germany or Austria. I wonder if their colorfastness is different from in the US. In any case thank you all for the ideas. I'll try the hot water on a cloth test, that makes sense. And it's smart to start with the mildest method as well. Finally, sorry I just noticed the upside-down sampler picture. Oops!

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

think that was a COLD water suggestion, rather than hot.....

10. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I was referencing Jonathan’s suggestion to test the dye by pressing it gently with a cloth soaked in hot water to see if there’s any transfer. But yes, cold to actually wash in!

11. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thank you!