1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water on velvet - what to do?!!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by themerchantsofvintage, Jul 19, 2006.

1. I just had an accident and some water spilled on a white velvet wedding dress I was hanging up. Water is a BIG no no for velvet and I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks. I've taken a towel to get rid of the moisture, but... And of course it's smack in the middle on the front. I'm so annoyed with myself. ARGGGG!

HELP!

Thanks!!!

2. I googled and one site said to fan dry and brush so I did that. It's dry but you still see it. Sniffle, sniffle, sob, sob...

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

The only way I know is drycleaning.

But is it rayon or cotton velvet?

4. Thanks, Chris. I'm going to try and bring it tomorrow. It's rayon.

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I am sure others will know better than i!

6. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

You might try steaming it. That is what I do when I have spots on velvet.

Brenda

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

This isn't good news I am afraid... velvet can be a real stickler. COtton velvet is the easiest to repair from creases and water spots, rayon and silk are both buggers. All I can suggest is what has already been said.

8. Thanks everyone! I'll give steaming a try, Brenda. And then off to a dry cleaner once I find one that is recommended - there's nary a good one on this island. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again!

9. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Oh, Deborah, that is horrible. I would say try steaming it from underneath.

10. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Oh, Deborah, what an unlucky thing to have happen! I'm sure the gown is lovely!

I've never tried it on velvet, but white vinegar is supposed to take water marks off fabric. I've had luck using it on rayon and different types of satin before. If the steaming doesn't work (which is what I'd definitely try first), I'd at least try a spot test by dabbing just a wee bit with a clean white cloth on the underside of the fabric, blotting it & then take a hair dryer and gently blow dry the spot. I found that the sooner you can dry the area, the better.

Good luck--and I hope you can find a good cleaner if you have to take this to one!!!!

11. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Steaming from the back might help, and won't hurt.

Pressing from the front with a needleboard might help.

Other than that - take it to the cleaners. Velvet pile is very tricky and getting it wet with any thing else will just make a bigger mess.

Hollis

12. Thanks, Hollis. I'm afraid steaming will have to wait 'til next week as I'm running around for the bride and groom. I'll keep everyone posted and do pics once this week ends - if it ever does!!!

PS - What's a needleboard?

13. Oops... meant to thank Linda and Anne too; so thanks!

14. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I think a needleboard is one of those paddy things. You can use another piece of velvet on board to try and refresh the pile - I'll google for steaming vintage velvet in a mo., but I know I read it somewhere...

Dress sounds lovely, and I have every sympathy as that sounds like just what I would do too :wacko:

15. Thanks, Harriet! I may go to the library - apparently Heloise has a good trick for velvet, but I can't find it online.