1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing more vintage - thanks to the VFG too!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I fear my closet is going to explode sooner or later :hysterical:. I have bought quite a bit of vintage clothing lately, and a lot of it from VFG members as well (there are some summer things too of which I will show pics once it actually is summer...). I only realised the other day that since I got more into vintage, it's become quite rare that I consciously go out clothes shopping any more. Vintage online buys, vintage and other spontaneous finds from my travels and from regular visits to shops like the Caritas here have filled my closet nicely, and here at home I only shop for "basics" (i.e. simple jeans, black t-shirts, underwear etc.) and accessories anymore - but only when I realise I need something new or something is missing. I don't go out anymore with the intention of spending a Saturday morning at H&M and similar stores... It's different when I'm in Vienna visiting my friend, but then we don't really go to H&M etc. either, but to those stores that have something unique which we wouldn't find anywhere else. This whole thinking "aw, today I have to go out and find some new stuff for summer (and then I don't see anything I like)" is gone. Which feels great to me!

Today I finally picked up the parcel from Amy (Viva Vintage) with the cute Eisenberg summer suit I bought from her. I just had to take some pics and show it here - it's so nice:

[​IMG]

I know the concept of changeant weaving with two colors - but I've seen that so far only being done with silk or anyway with fabrics that were for formal/evening wear, but I've never seen it being done with cotton! The effect is great, and now I finally have a suit for summer as well, though I might wear both the skirt and the jacket also separately.

From Hollis came this cute 50s cashmere sweater that I just couldn't resist... looks great with anything!
    [​IMG]

For a retro feel, I paired it with this super (modern) cotton skirt that has a wide belt, which is one of my go-to pieces for famil trips for work - it forgives being packed in a suitcase for a week or two quite well, and depending on what I wear it with, it easily goes from day to night.

But the sweater goes just as well with slim jeans and my "new" pumps from the second hand shop:
    [​IMG]

Yesterday it was so warm, that I gave my brown 30s dress a try. Getting in and out of it is an art form, the only opening being the buttons down the front, but once it's on, it's quite comfortable, and looks good. I think they would have worn it with a bigger bow at the front back in the day, but when I tried that, I felt like a flight attendant... like one of those uniforms that they wear a scarf with a big bow with...
    [​IMG]

Karin

2. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Karin, you look great in all of your finds! :wow22:

I'm glad the Eisenberg suit will be joining the rest of your lovely and well-cared for vintage collection. Enjoy it!

3. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I'm very fond of the 30's - so of course the last brown dress is my favorite. I know what you mean about the big bow - Sometimes the frills do take a bit of getting used to!

I, also, find that I'm much happier now that i have only vintage items in my wardrobe. The hunt for it is much more fun & satisfying - and I actually LIKE what I'm buying... not just "like it well enough" which is what all "Mall" shopping was like, before. I, too, only buy a few things new, now - like underwear, etc.

Anyway - congrats!

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

those all look great - the colors really set off your coloring.

And isn't that a wonderful little cashmere sweater? I almost kept it..............my wool allergy is your friend!

Hollis

5. joules

joules VFG Member

Karin, you wear vintage so well. Thanks for sharing your wonderful vintage wardrobe looks with us!

I find, that I can always be certain of the very best in quality and selection, when I shop from VFG members. And I do shop!

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Karin -

You look great in all of your finds! I know exactly what you mean - I think the only pieces I have added to my wardrobe that are not vintage are underwear, shoes (cannot buy without trying on) and some inexpensive caridgans that I throw over my shoulders. I do have lots and lots of cotton tee shirts (and shorts) that I wear for everyday and that I pair with vintage cotton skirts.

I don't think I've purchased anything "new" other than tees or sweaters or shorts/skirts in a couple of years!

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks a lot everybody - and you're all so right. The hunt for vintage (or unique/unusual stuff) really is so much more fun. Even the Caritas second hand shop around the corner is. I buy new stuff there too - you never know... (like an Ann Taylor cashmere sweater for $30 or the shoes I'm wearing with the jeans - they were unworn!). The next closet clear-up is approaching and they will certainly get a nice donation from me in the shape of newer things that I don't wear anymore. And I'm looking forward to a very vintage spring/summer.

Karin